mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Lefty hub choice - Cannondale SL, I-9, etc

Looking to build up a pair of 29er tubeless wheels w/ some Stan's Arch rims. There are a number of builders/sources out there, but, as far as hub goes for the lefty, which would you recommend for the build? There aren't many options, but, the big 3 standout...the Cannondale SL, the Industry 9, or, a Project 321.

Thanks

LA CHVRE
    Not sure the I-9 and P321 are worth more than the Cannondale, they're not lighter and they're pretty much all alloy cylinders with cartridge bearings... and the I9, as far as I know, are not sold in Lefty models alone, only with their pre-built wheels and proprietary spokes. If you do want something special, check the Tune or Extralite Lefty hubs, at least they are lighter than the Cannondale.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great. Thanks Dan! Let's say you just went with the Cannondale SL, and had to build up the rear wheel...what would you build into the rear hub-wise?

ballbuster
    Yeah, second that. I got a C'Dale SL regular hub new off fleabay for $60. THe Project321 hub is like $150 and heavier. Maybe the bearings are better or something, I dunno. Not sure how they are better, other than looking sexier.

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have Tune Cannonball

i have Industry Nine

... very happy with them

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am also looking to upgrade to a tubeless wheel set on a Flash 29er....any suggesstions/recomendations?

Also, this will be my first time getting new hubs...if someone can offer any help as to what specs I should be looking at and why a more expensive hub is better, I would appreciate it.

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    if you are lookin for a light front wheel, the extralite hyperlefty will do it... my front wheel is a ztr alpine rim, sapimcx-rays and the extralite hyerlefty hub...very happy with it
    facebook: smart bicycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am not so concerned with weight as I am with strength and durability. I tacoed my front wheet about two weeks after I got the bike, so I really want something that will hold up.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rewag38 View Post
    I am not so concerned with weight as I am with strength and durability. I tacoed my front wheet about two weeks after I got the bike, so I really want something that will hold up.
    I'm sure this goes without saying but the hub had zero to do with your wheel getting tacoed....

@Pimpbot, I have a P321 hub wheel buit up, and of course, several Cannondale versions. The P321 rolls much longer, likely due to higher quality bearings. Other than that, color is the reason to upgrade.

Like Dan said, all these are,are tubes for bearings. Put some Phils, or some ceramics in if you want to hop up your Cdale hub.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Woodman. It works. It's not the lightest, but it has a higher flange than the stock C-dale hubs.

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Yeah, second that. I got a C'Dale SL regular hub new off fleabay for $60. THe Project321 hub is like $150 and heavier. Maybe the bearings are better or something, I dunno. Not sure how they are better, other than looking sexier.
    How much heavier is the P321 hub? They list their hub at 125.6g with hubcap and bolt (hub alone = 114.2g)

I've seen claims that the Cannondale hub with hubcap and bolt weighs between 132-135g.
    ht tp://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/lefty-hub-weight-617394.html

So is the P321 with hubcap and bolt really lighter than the Cannondale hub with hubcap and bolt?

Here is an on the scale comparison of the Cannondale Lefty (118g) vs P321 (125g) both with P321 hubcap and bolt:
    ht tp://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/new-project-321-lefty-hub-572992-2.html

What does the Cannondale hubcap and bolt weigh? 7 or more grams more than P321?
    P321 says their hubcap/bolt is lighter...

So the P321 is either 7g heavier or lighter. Which is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNG View Post
    How much heavier is the P321 hub? They list their hub at 125.6g with hubcap and bolt (hub alone = 114.2g)

I've seen claims that the Cannondale hub with hubcap and bolt weighs between 132-135g.
    ht tp://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/lefty-hub-weight-617394.html

So is the P321 with hubcap and bolt really lighter than the Cannondale hub with hubcap and bolt?

Here is an on the scale comparison of the Cannondale Lefty (118g) vs P321 (125g) both with P321 hubcap and bolt:
    ht tp://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/new-project-321-lefty-hub-572992-2.html

What does the Cannondale hubcap and bolt weigh? 7 or more grams more than P321?
    P321 says their hubcap/bolt is lighter...

So the P321 is either 7g heavier or lighter. Which is it?
    its 7 grams, do you think it really matters? Im sure you can find two of the same lefty hubs with a few grams difference in weight just from manufacturing tolerances

Since the Lefty hub is already so light, personally, I chose to keep it when recently doing a wheel build. I felt my money was better spent elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a front 355 laced to a DT240 lefty, and a 355 laced to a C'dale SI. The DT rolls smoother.. and the DT is light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not much can beat the standard Cannondale Lefty SI for me, great reliability and Strength. Qwerty Cycles — Cannondale Lefty Hub QC082 have them quite cheap at the minute. (Think it is europe only though)

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    +1 for Project321 hubs. Spin nicely, have had no issue with them and they look sweet! Come on ... pimp that ride!

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm definitely going with P321 hubs on my next set of wheels. They weigh a little more than some of the other options out there but I can compensate for that weight gain by using the new Arch EX rims that will be available in January.

Another plus is that I can have a perfectly matching set of red anodized hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Soul Kouzak makes a great hub. I like it, but it has a star nut bolt.
    Scott Scale 29er with Carbon Lefty at an insane 16.9 pounds.