LT-5
    Oct 2005

Lefty hub bearing slop?

I'm wondering how many Lefty drivers have had slop develop in their hub bearings? I've got two wheels - one stock c-dale the other a Woodman. The stock hub had bearing slop from the get-go, and was fixed when I installed a new set. The Woodman hub ran well for a while, but now its developed the same bit of play.

The play is detectable when holding the rim and wiggling it side to side.

The bearings aren't hard to replace, but I'd rather be riding.

Anybody?

I licked a frog.
    I have been dealing with this problem since I bought my bike. I run a CrossMax SL on my Lefty and it has always had some play from side-to-side. I have had the bearings replaced and that seems to resolve the problem for about a minute. Big Ring Cycles in Golden told me, "A little play is acceptable" (acceptable to who I'd like to know?!) and Arvada Bicycle told me that it was a problem with Mavic. either way, there's always been a little bit of play in my front wheel. it appears to be harmless as I've ridden my bike thousands and thousands of miles with this and it hasn't gotten any worse. it just drives me crazy to have anything not exactly perfect on an otherwise perfect bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's funny that they both had excuses, but no solutions. Welcome to the bike industry.

The problem is with the spacing behind the inner, larger bearing. Pop that out, and get yourself a piece of soda can. Use the bearing as a guide, and cut out one or two shims of aluminum. Start with one, before the bearing is reinstalled, often that's enough, if you need more, use one more. I've never seen need for more than one or two. There are shims out there from Mavic, and now, Industry 9, since they used the same bad numbers are everyone else. I figure it's simpler to just DIY. Simple fix, and hey, even the big boys screw up from time to time
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    I had the same problem and fixed it with Enduro ABEC-5 bearings, no more problems since then.
    Here a link to a thread we had earlier about the Lefty Bearings:
    Play in front wheel - Lefty
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    Oh, and here's the link to the enduro bearings website:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id138.html
    Also make sure you use a torque wrench when tightening the lefty hub bolt as to much pressure can destroy the bearings too and then they develop more play.
    I put more miles on the enduro bearings than I did on the originals.
    The stock ones were shot after only 500 miles, I have about 600miles on the enduro's so far and the wheel bearings are still tight.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got an '07 Rush and it came from Cannondale with a plastic spacer for the hub...I guess Cannondale has accepted this fix also. I have a 2001 F1000 with the Ti ELO lefty that has this problem with a hub that is about 2 1/2years old. I am going to use the aluminum can trick; sounds simple enough. I have 4 leftys and this is the only one I have had this problem with...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by papkec
    I just got an '07 Rush and it came from Cannondale with a plastic spacer for the hub...
    You talking about the grey plastic seal, on the outsie of the inner bearing? If so, that's not a spacer, but a seal, to keep the crap out of it, as it's a common thing for them to die quickly, unless sealed additionally.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com