mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Lefty Hub Bearing play/wear

Hello,

I have a lefty since a short time, but now I have ridden it for like 200km and the hub already has some play on it. Is this normal with the hubs mounted on a Lefty that the bearings wear fast or what can I expect with them? I'm riding with a Tune Cannonball hub by the way.

A friend of me also has a Lefty with a Cannondale Lefty SI hub and that has some play also and the bearings make some worn out noise when spinning, that wheel is just 2 months old.

I like to hear what to expect...? I heard something about filling some space up with some tiny spacers between bearings and fork? Or something like that...?

Thanks
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

LA CHÈVRE
    That's not normal IMO, all my Lefty hubs still have their original bearings, some dating back from 2004 and they went through nasty conditions too. I have both Cannondale Lefty hubs and Mavic Crossmax Lefty hubs...

Is the shield on between the disc side bearing and the brake rotor? I like to put a bit of grease on the side of the bearing before I put that sheild, then put grease on the bearing surface and cover the shield to bearing edge to prevent anything to get to the bearing.

Did the play develop or was it there from the start? Some hubs are slightly out of specs so the fix is to put thin shims between the disc side bearing and the hub shell. A Cannondale dealer can get you those shims but some people have made some themselves out of soda cans cut to fit.

As for the noise, it could also be the rubber seal around the mounting bolt of the hub. Some are tight and make squeaky sounds for a while, it can also cause some drag. The solutions are to grease that rubber ring well, some take it completly off or let it wear in a bit. But the noise would have been there from the beginning...

What would help diagnose what is the issue is take the wheel off, the mounting bolt and cap assembly off and spin the bearings with your fingers, if there is play in the bearings themselves, you probably weren't lucky and had bad bearings. Normally, these bearings are pretty durable...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have 2 Tune Cannonball on my bikes :

no shims needed

no plays

no noises

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Dan gerous: Whats the shield you are talking about? The cannonball hubs came without any shield or what so ever?
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    <-----Just replaced lefty hub bearings last night. The larger of the two was toast in one winter. The smaller was fine but I still replaced it.

mtbr member
    The shield is a small gray plastic type washer that goes between the large bearing and the disc to help prevent bearing contamination. It is Cannondale part number QC118. I have a PDF that shows it but the tech bulletin doesn't seem to be up on C'dale's web site anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    The shield is a small gray plastic type washer that goes between the large bearing and the disc to help prevent bearing contamination. It is Cannondale part number QC118. I have a PDF that shows it but the tech bulletin doesn't seem to be up on C'dale's web site anymore.

I know my woodman hub has a rubber seal instead of the plastic. I wonder if that would be better protection? The plastic washer just seems hokie.

BTW, I think I might have bought my lefty 650b from you...ebay

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    I know my woodman hub has a rubber seal instead of the plastic. I wonder if that would be better protection? The plastic washer just seems hokie.

BTW, I think I might have bought my lefty 650b from you...ebay
    All that's needed is better quality bearings with better lip seals.
    I don't use the stupid cannondale plastic washer on the disc side and no o-ring on the mounting side either and never had any issues....
    Even the cannondale replacement bearings suc @ss....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    As for the noise, it could also be the rubber seal around the mounting bolt of the hub. Some are tight and make squeaky sounds for a while, it can also cause some drag. The solutions are to grease that rubber ring well, some take it completly off or let it wear in a bit. But the noise would have been there from the beginning...
    How do you get the mounting bolt out to access the seal because I have the annoying squeaking and when I take the wheel off the bolt seems to be held in there. They are Mavic Crossmax ST

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

shims

anyone got ay idea on reference codes or manufacturers of those shims some of u guys mentioned???

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by bt100
    How do you get the mounting bolt out to access the seal because I have the annoying squeaking and when I take the wheel off the bolt seems to be held in there. They are Mavic Crossmax ST
    You need a green pin spanner and the end cap is reverse threaded so clockwise untightens it.

Quote Originally Posted by ianaprilia
    anyone got ay idea on reference codes or manufacturers of those shims some of u guys mentioned???
    As for the shims, I'm not sure what part number it is but most Cannondale dealers should know what it is as it was a more common issue a few years back especialy with the first years Mavic Lefty wheels. The part is from Cannondale as far as I can remember though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

SOC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

QC118 on eBay

You can get the QC118 off eBay. Here's an active auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-Mavic...item58894b5c0d

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bumping an old thread - but I'm working on a bike with similar issues.

Lefty Si hub, off a 2013 Scalpel 2 carbon. Wheel had a hair of play when bolted on - I can't feel the hub moving laterally on the axle, I only feel play when grabbing the tire and rocking side to side. The Disc side bearing felt a bit crunchy, so I replaced with a brand new Enduro bearing. I still had the play after installing the new bearing.

I can't feel any play in the bearing race - smooth as silk, like a new bearing should be.

For shiggles, I replaced the outboard bearing just now with a locally sourced bearing.

I've still got the play.

Yes, this hub is running the gray shield on the disc side. I've tried to avoid packing grease in everywhere as a fix, trying to avoid the cleanup if it doesn't fix the problem.

I have a friend bringing me his I9 lefty wheel to swap in and check for play, and to try the scalpel's wheel on his bike to see if the problem follows the wheel.

Other than that - what's the best way to make the shims - coors can and scissors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    afternoon update, I put the I9 wheel on the scalpel - same amount of play. My buddy verified that it has no play whatsoever on his bike, and his bearings felt much sloppier to me off the bike.

Before doing anything else, I took the scalpel's wheel to the local c-dale shop and pulled a new F29 off the shelf. I swapped front wheels - and poof, no play in my customer's wheel on the new lefty.

This is where I realized the problem - the scalpel I'm working on will let the hub slide on and off with no effort needed to get it fully seated. Installing the wheel on the F29, it required using the axle bolt to get it fully up on the axle, and to remove it. The play I'm experiencing is between the large bearing and the axle.

I called cannondale and spoke to them about it and immediately was told there's a shim kit that will fix it. I'm hoping that this isn't the shims previously mentioned that are supposed to go behind the bearing, cause that isn't going to fix my problem. We'll see when it comes in. If that doesn't do it, I'm thinking about brushing on a coat or 3 of black lacquer paint, and see if I can take it up that way

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Maybe a gorilla or duct tape on the Lefty Axle ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There's not enough room in there for that thick a wrap. I am thinking about some thin plastic sheeting sourced from the local hobby shop, or maybe a small piece of aluminum tape used for hvac ducts.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    Serendipitously, I've just attacked what seemed to be a similar problem -- play in the wheel when grapping the tire and wiggling it perpendicular to the direction the wheel rolls. My son's Caffeine equipped Lefty mounted front wheel developed play over the summer, coming on through the riding season. With a cone-equipped wheel I would have known what to do. At a race this fall there was a Cannondale rep present and he suggested replacing the bearings as he agreed it was torqued down appropriately. It really wasn't noticeable riding the bike, but I ended out swapping in new bearings and the problem was solved. There's a lot of miles on that wheel (bought the bike used from a friend so know the mileage involved) and it's not at all unreasonable that the bearings had worn (although they were still smooth). Doesn't seem like it's adrenalnjunky's issue, but folks perusing this thread that are experiencing similar issues might like to know of various causes and solutions.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...