mtbr member
    Jun 2007

lefty helicoil insertion

Has anybody replaced the helicoil into their lefty spindle? Is it a difficult procedure? Or is it just a matter of finding the right sized helicoil and threading it in?

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Someone asked about this awhile ago look 4 the post but it is as easy as threading it back in as long as the threads arent stripped then u will need a helicoil tap kit to retap it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah, I did see that post. There was no mention of what kind of tool I would need. I have a new helicoil that i'm pretty sure is the right size. When I started to thread it in, there was some resistance such that when I tried to torque it, the spring would bend. I'm pretty sure that the threads are in tact. Is there a tool to generate more torque to thread it in?

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    yeah you could use the little tool u can get one at a local hardware store or a dirtbike shop.I think the helicoil size is a 10mm if i remember correct.

Avenger of Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by robhyldahl
    Yeah, I did see that post. There was no mention of what kind of tool I would need. I have a new helicoil that i'm pretty sure is the right size. When I started to thread it in, there was some resistance such that when I tried to torque it, the spring would bend. I'm pretty sure that the threads are in tact. Is there a tool to generate more torque to thread it in?
    If you have a new Helicoil, yes you will need an installation tool. It does not put more torque on the helicoil, but allows it to compress into the center. The tool is needed to break off the installation "tang" that is at the bottom end of the Helicoil.
    helicoil.jpg

heli-coil%200003.jpg

heli17.jpg
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks! You all are very helpful. I think i'll take it around to a motorcycle shop and see if they would put it in for me.