mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Lefty Headset spacers loose?

I very well could be over thinking this, but... I have a new Trigger 29er1 with the SuperMax. It uses a 1.5inch stem, not an SI stem. My headset spacers are loose and it drives me nuts. I loosened the stem bolts and pushed down on it to snug them up, and with pressure applied tightened the stem bolts, stem bolts are torqued. They're loose still, I can spin them with my fingers. Is this an isssue? I almost feel foolish for asking but it's been bothering me.

mtbr member
    Is it just the spacers that are loose? As long as you check the headset and it's snug it's not an issue. I changed out the stock length stem for a 110 that I had and the height was different. I ended up having to remove some spacers. I just set the new stem on top and put hand pressure down while tightening the bolts. Every thing is snug. I am going to check on how to tighten the headset for general knowledge.

Here is another link from the site:
    Obviously no adjustment required.
    Lefty headset adjustment

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The bike has zero miles on it. I don't believe the headset is adjustable on it either. It's one of those things that I never thought about with a standard fork and headset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just removed my Lefty Supermax today to reroute the cables. I didn't like the way they came in terms of which ones were routed through the lefty clamps and which ones weren't.

It took me a while to work out how to remove the internal steerer... different to previous leftys I've owned. There appears to be no tensioning device ... previous leftys have had a threaded steerer base which you tighten with a Shimano BB tool. So after reinstalling, my spacers are a bit loose too... although the steerer seems snug and tight in the headset . Will do some research and then have another play later.

Removal and reinstallation involved a bit of violence with a rubber mallet... not for the faint hearted!

Anyone else got any experience with this setup?
    Cheers
    Last edited by russmu66; 05-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    2013 Banshee Paradox 27.5+
    2017 Evil The Wreckoning

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Every trigger 29er with the lefty I've seen has loose spacers so who knows what's up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's mostly just annoying to me. I've gotten a number of rides in and now and no issues. I'm just used to a traditional fork with a cap on the stem that you tighten down.

mtbr member
    Changed my stem and my spacers are still tight.