mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Lefty Headset Bearings, How diificult to remove?

Hi, I need to move the headset and bearings from a Scalpel to a Rush. How difficult is this to do? Do you need speciality tools? Just trying to figure out if this is something I can do on my own or if it is better left to a shop. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just tap them out using a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet. Go slowly around the circumference of the bearings and then the headset to get them out.

mtbr member
    As Vitaccop said, but instead of wooden dowel I would use a metal rod about 4-5mm in diameter, reason being I found the wood would push down and ruin the plastic seal inside the races where the metal just tapped the race edge and did no damage to the seal and worked very easily!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So they just kind of tap right out and then tap back in? What about the other part? I haven't looked too carefully yet. I thought there were the bearings and the other part that go on the frame, the outer part. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    So they just kind of tap right out and then tap back in? What about the other part? I haven't looked too carefully yet. I thought there were the bearings and the other part that go on the frame, the outer part. Thanks again.
    Yep... they are just press fit into the headtube. Like sp3000 said you can use anything to push them out- I use a wooden dowel because I have one handy laying around the garage- it's actually an old broom handle that has been cut down. I like wood because there is no possibility of damaging any of the bike parts. The actual bearings (the smaller silver and black doughnuts) easily press into the headset cups (the larger rings with the Cannondale logo).

mtbr member
    I just found that with dowel the edge of the bearing cut into the dowel causing the rest of the dowel to push in further hence damaging the seals, I might have been using a softer wood. But when I did it again I had great success with a metal rod, you just carefully catch the edge of the bearing with it, hold it gently against the inside of the cup (black thing with the cannondale logo) and tap away, move around bit by bit and it just pops out. then you move a bit lower and catch the edge of the cup, again this time pressing very gently against the inside of the head tube, tap tap and it's out... too easy! hope you can understand what I'm describing, i should have taken pics last time i did it.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the crude mock up here, but this might help.
    8 is the bearing
    9 is the cup
    7 is the little seal on top

if you position your "tool" where I've put the red line first (obviously when it's all together) you can see that the inside edge will hang over the inside cup edge, so you can tap the bearing out.
    Then move to the blue line and do the same again with the cup.
    as said before tap around little by little to get it to pop out without jamming it.
    To re-assemble I just used a rubber mallet to whack the cups back in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    What everyone is describing is called drifting. However, in reading it, I would be left with the impression that A:, wood is okay to use, and B: that going around the circle tapping is okay. While both methods may work, more often than not, it'll end up either causing damage, or getting things stuck. You do want to use a steel punch to drift the bearings out. But work in 180 degree positions, tap at 12 o'clock, then 6, then 12, then 6, not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, this often leads to the bearing becoming jammed, or damaged. The wood also, may have worked, but 95% of the time, it'll split, then jam the seal downward, mis-shaping it, then you need a new bearing As for the headset cups, DO NOT drift them in, ideally not out either. Most headsets use a tool that pushes them out all at once, but that tool is not large enough to work on a Cannondale, bummer. So, drifting is okay, but slowly. Too quickly, and you either crack the frame or cup, or deform something, making your headset prone to creaking and crinkling As for installation, use a press. Either have a shop press it in, or make a press. A piece of threaded rod, and a series of increasing diameter washers, so as to add stiffness to the washers that are actually pushing in the cups, otherwise, they'd just bend out of the way.

I'm not saying that they gave you bad info, and that they are going about it poorly, it is possible to get there, doing as they did, it's just that there's a better way to do it, and avoid damage in the process
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorry if I hijack the post,but I have a question regarding the lower bearing removal from a Headshok.So,when I remove the whole fork the lower bearing remains ON the FORK.How do I remove it?Do I have to disassemble the fork?Any help would be appreciated because the bearings need to be changed.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nick_innovator
    Do I have to disassemble the fork?
    Yep, best time to do it, is when it's getting an annual service.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Most headsets use a tool that pushes them out all at once, but that tool is not large enough to work on a Cannondale, bummer. :
    I got this cheap headset tool.

It wouldn't initial fit a 1.5 headtube. I carefully spread the fingers out and got it work on a 1.5 headtube. No tapping. Just a whack or 2 with a mallet the the headset is out.

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    I got this cheap headset tool.
    Ingenuity at it's finest.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com