mtbr member
    May 2007

lefty harsh top out

Question for the lefty experts before I overhaul my DLR2 (non solo air from 2006)

Assuming the pressure is appropriate for the negative spring size, and the bearings have been reset with an extended fork length of 700mm, what else could cause a harsh knock or clunk at top out, every single time.

The reason I ask this is even though my lefty hasn't been serviced in a while, there are no signs of oil or air leakage right now, but this loud top out is constantly there, and I need to know what else to look for. Thanks.

Edit:
    Follow up question to above: If this is a problem with the negative spring (don't know that it is, just hypothesizing) can a DLR2 of this type be converted to the solo air negative spring system?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I don't claim to be an expert, by any means! I've had my lefty apart recently (2008 DLR2 80mm) and I can only think that any clunk or harshness at top out would be bearing related in some way.

mtbr member
    Time to get the cartridge serviced or replaced. I had the same problem and I replaced it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Time to get the cartridge serviced or replaced. I had the same problem and I replaced it.

Out of curiosity, why replace instead of service the cartridge?