mtbr member

lefty front hub bearing size?

I have one of the last 07 scalpels. Sweet bike, but the lefty front hub is making a scratchy, crunchy noise after 60 miles. Not the brake, because sound persists on the stand when the caliper is removed. I opened it up and seems to be the large bearing adjacent to the roter. Can anyone confirm the size of this bearing? I have seen in a previous post the size as "35mm x 27mm by 7mm wide", but this size does not seem to be carried by Enduro bearings, although 37x25x7 is listed. Anyone know which it is and if it is possible to get a higher quality bearing than stock?

Thanks in advance.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    I have one of the last 07 scalpels. Sweet bike, but the lefty front hub is making a scratchy, crunchy noise after 60 miles. Not the brake, because sound persists on the stand when the caliper is removed. I opened it up and seems to be the large bearing adjacent to the roter. Can anyone confirm the size of this bearing? I have seen in a previous post the size as "35mm x 27mm by 7mm wide", but this size does not seem to be carried by Enduro bearings, although 37x25x7 is listed. Anyone know which it is and if it is possible to get a higher quality bearing than stock?

Thanks in advance.

First off, have you pulled the bearing, popped the seals, cleaned it out, and put in fresh grease? This often fixes the issue. Beyond that, what you're looking for is right in front of you, look on the seal itself, there's a 4 digit string, "8503" "6902" etc, that's your size. I'd tell you, but it's not coming to me, and I'm not near a bearing to tell you. Have fun
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Thanks

I haven't tried to pull the bearing out yet, never tried to wrench any hub( or any other) bearings...so I am real newb in this area

I have tried to follow some of the threads regarding this topic. Seems like some people suggest punch out the bearing, which would imply coming in from the other side of the hub once the wheel is removed. I haven't figured out how to take the other cap off. The alternative is that there a tool for this if you know the approximate bearing size. Anyone care to clarify the 'punch' or 'tool' approach for me?

Also, there is an implication that there should be grease on the lefty fork axle that the large cartridge bearing fits over and that this should act as a dust shield. Mine was bone dry. Am I correct in assuming that this could be part of the problem?

mtbr member
    Do you mean the park tool # spa1 to remove the outer cap? Or are you past that step? There is a decent tear down description in the pdf for the lefty. Pages 11-14 i think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johni0574; 09-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member

thanks for the exploded view

So I need to remove the bearing #7 in the exploded view. I think there is a cartridge bearing puller tool that will do the job

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=6&minor=6

or I can take the cap on the other side off and push the bearing out. So it looks like either way I need another tool . All I have done to this point is take the wheel off and rotate the bearing #7 with my finger to verify that this is source of the noise/problem. Once I get the tool(s), it seems like I can remove the bearing, clean it or replace it once I find the model number.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    So I need to remove the bearing #7 in the exploded view. I think there is a cartridge bearing puller tool that will do the job

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=6&minor=6

or I can take the cap on the other side off and push the bearing out. So it looks like either way I need another tool . All I have done to this point is take the wheel off and rotate the bearing #7 with my finger to verify that this is source of the noise/problem. Once I get the tool(s), it seems like I can remove the bearing, clean it or replace it once I find the model number.
    Thge bearing puller in question will be of limited assistance. A nice broad tipped punch, and some gentle tapping, one side, then the other, will walk it out with a minimum of effort. You can use a socket with an extension too, but you may chip up the plating on your socket. Main thing is, push on the metal, not the rubber seal. You'll need to pull the cap (it's reverse thread FYI) and should be set at that point. There is probably a grey plastic seal against bearing #7, pluck it out, wipe the bearingoff, the numbers will be right there. Have fun!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com