n3rd

Lefty Fork / Stem Question

I recently ordered an '08 29'er Caffeine (Model 2) which is supposed to be in this week or early next week. I was looking over the parts I plan to upgrade and was looking at the stem.. are you locked into a specific Cannondale/Lefty stem or can you slap whatever you want on there? Like for instance a Thomson stem? I thought I remembered hearing this somewhere but just wanted to verify..

Also, can you order the 29/44 (I think?) Hollowgram cranks that are on the Taurine Team? I was thinking about converting it to a 1x9 but then I saw those cranks and 2x9 didn't seem like too bad of an idea..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The steer tube diameter is different than other forks so you must get a stem that fits Cannondale steer tubes (can't remember the dia right now). A few years ago a couple of companies made some aftermarket stems but I have not seen any in a while.

LA CHÈVRE
    Cannondale, Woodman, Hope, FRM makes Headshok/Lefty sized stems... Maybe other too. There was rumors about a Thomson stem, then a Thomson Lefty steerer that tapers down to 1.125" at the stem area (they showed prototypes of it) but neither of those ever happened.

As for the crankset, you can order it but it wont fit your frame, the Hollowgram cranks use the BB30 bottom bracket interface which is not compatible with standard frames, only fits BB30 specific frames. The BB shell must be bigger to accomodate the bigger BB and BB bearings...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Cannondale, Woodman, Hope, FRM makes Headshok/Lefty sized stems... Maybe other too. There was rumors about a Thomson stem, then a Thomson Lefty steerer that tapers down to 1.125" at the stem area (they showed prototypes of it) but neither of those ever happened.

As for the crankset, you can order it but it wont fit your frame, the Hollowgram cranks use the BB30 bottom bracket interface which is not compatible with standard frames, only fits BB30 specific frames. The BB shell must be bigger to accomodate the bigger BB and BB bearings...
    Thanks for the info!