mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Lefty fork Rubbing/catching on brake caliper

Hi All,

First up I'm a big bloke, 125kg (maybe more not checked recently), and when i get out of the saddle on my Lefty equipped 2010 Flask 29er3 I get the 185mm brake rotor rubbing on the calliper. This also happens when I stand and lean the bike to either side while rolling in a straight line.

I'm running BB7's, 185mm rotor otherwise the front end is stock. has anyone else experience or is aware of anything similar when using a lefty?

I an considering swapping out the Lefty for a taper crown fork (aka Reba) with either a QR with the DT Swiss locking skewers, or 15mm QR. Doing this would mean a new front wheel as well, which is not so much a worry as alreay have some parts.

I would apprecieate opions, info & suggestion. I have also poster this on the Cannondale forum

Ozbikebuddy
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

bump

bump
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    When you say rubbing are you talking about the rotor moving side to side and rubbing on the pads in the caliper?

It could be loose bearings causing the hub and therefore the rotor to have some play which you only become aware of when you load it up.

I would first check the Lefty hub is torqued correctly onto the lefty spindle 15Nm from memory but it's usually written on the hub, secondly check that the rotor is evenly centered in the caliper and it's not alreday super close to rubbing (you can give it more clearance by removing the caliper and pushing the pads apart slightly with a screw driver, do this carefully with a big flat head so you don't chew out your pads) if you go that way be aware you will increase your lever throw at the bar, you may not like the feel etc..
    Thirdly you could replace the bearings in the lefty hub to give the hub minimal play if that is what is causing it.
    Forth up you could go down to a 160mm rotor (you will need an adapter) this will cause any deflection in the hub/rotor to be less noticeable.

Also you may want to double check your rotor is true, it might be that one part is a little off to the side and causing the rubbing.

Edit: I just noticed you are running cable brakes, ignore the above about pushing out the pistons etc. But still you may want to relax the pads off to give you some more room.