mtbr member

Lefty Fork change for 2012?

I tried to order a 2011 29er carbon XLR fork for my new build and the lbs said they were sold out. He siad I could either get a regular carbon XLR with a reducer added or wait for the 2012 that would be ready by early July. He said the 2012 fork is suppossed to have a change to help with bearing migration - can anybody confirm this? I went ahead and ordered the 2012 fork and my estimated delivery date is 7/9.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    I tried to order a 2011 29er carbon XLR fork for my new build and the lbs said they were sold out. He siad I could either get a regular carbon XLR with a reducer added or wait for the 2012 that would be ready by early July. He said the 2012 fork is suppossed to have a change to help with bearing migration - can anybody confirm this? I went ahead and ordered the 2012 fork and my estimated delivery date is 7/9.
    That's not a long wait if it is true.
    Maybe Cannondale is taking the MTBR member's advice of moving the split rings above the damper to alleviate migration

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Although I have no info to back up my feeling on this, I'm going to say that it sounds like just a weird sales pitch by your dealer.

All these years, it continues to exist as a natural part of needle bearing design. They've made it super easy to reset, I can't see them spending time to do more in that regard.

Not that I'm an engineer, but I'm not seeing any way, design or mechanical, to prevent it from occurring, and believe me, I spend more than a few minutes around these things every day

That must be it Yogi, the auto reset function we've all been waiting for...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Just confirmation.

There are no significant changes for 2012 Leftys. 2011 was "the big change" year, platform damping for all models, re-structuring of travel to 100, 120, 140, low speed compression, etc.

I'm guessing we'll see things stay static for another year or two. I applaud that mindset too. Way too many companies are changing, every year, and for what, just to sell you on what's new, and make you dump what is perfectly good. Let's face it, if you have a smile on your face, do you really need a new widget every year, so some wealthy, disconnected board of directors member can keep up with their house boat payments?

Straight from the horses mouth (sorry D, I know you're not really a horse!) "the only changes for 2012 Leftys will be to go from white to black".

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Just confirmation.
    "the only changes for 2012 Leftys will be to go from white to black".
    I guess he's talking about the alloy models or maybe the crowns.
    Either way, I can't see how they would improve much on the 2011s unless they got tighter on the quality control end of the assembly/manufacturing not that it is at all bad now but that can always be improved upon.

Edit: I can see going to Post Mount as being a definite upgrade.
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 06-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I can see going to Post Mount as being a definite upgrade.
    post mount? i'd think that would be a pain in the arse.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    post mount? i'd think that would be a pain in the arse.
    Agreed, wont happen, you hear me Cannondale?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    so , we still have to wait for the ONE PIECE UPPER in carbon ?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! On a related note, the same regional rep said that a fork with frequent migration can be corrected by sending it back in for larger races - is that true?
    2012 Seven Ti SS

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Thanks for the info! On a related note, the same regional rep said that a fork with frequent migration can be corrected by sending it back in for larger races - is that true?
    Correct, but let me be concise. It will never be "fixed" or prevented, or stopped. Nor will you ever have a fork that doesn't require some attention in this regard from time to time.

The thicker the races, the stiffer the action. Not horribly so, but different. They try to build them fairly light at the factory, so you get that super fast, wicked plush small bump performance, and since they are so easy to reset now, it's their mindset that folks will simply reset as needed.

However, certain situations, riders, styles of ride, etc, may lead to really frequent resets, like every ride or three. Some folks love the ride qualities at the given preload, so the resets are not a bother. If it is for you, or someone you know, yes it can be dealt with to make it more like every couple weeks, months, what have you, but still based on personal ride factors, so it may take a time or two to get it nailed just right for you.

In my experience, ( I do re-tweak many of these a year, though most forks sent to me I just service or repair) there is at least one or two steps firmer that a fork can be pushed to, before becoming too tight to be good feeling.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Correct, but let me be concise. It will never be "fixed" or prevented, or stopped. Nor will you ever have a fork that doesn't require some attention in this regard from time to time.

The thicker the races, the stiffer the action. Not horribly so, but different. They try to build them fairly light at the factory, so you get that super fast, wicked plush small bump performance, and since they are so easy to reset now, it's their mindset that folks will simply reset as needed.

However, certain situations, riders, styles of ride, etc, may lead to really frequent resets, like every ride or three. Some folks love the ride qualities at the given preload, so the resets are not a bother. If it is for you, or someone you know, yes it can be dealt with to make it more like every couple weeks, months, what have you, but still based on personal ride factors, so it may take a time or two to get it nailed just right for you.

In my experience, ( I do re-tweak many of these a year, though most forks sent to me I just service or repair) there is at least one or two steps firmer that a fork can be pushed to, before becoming too tight to be good feeling.
    I personally like mine a little on the slow side of the spectrum for technical riding. I find if it is set so the bearing preload is low, the damper doesn't control the action as I like even with 7.5 wt. oil. We have a ton of large rocks here in Northern New Mexico and it take a lot of maneuvering to get around or over them.

I haven't tried treaking it with the slow speed ports, but I have the added benifit of having to do less resets if I add a thousanths or two to the inner races and the feel I am looking for is accomplished by doing so.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm pretty happy with the 2011 internals Mendon slapped in my Lefty.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I haven't tried tweaking it with the slow speed ports, but I have the added benifit of having to do less resets if I add a thousanths or two to the inner races and the feel I am looking for is accomplished by doing so.
    Yeah, preload seems a good half step towards LS comp damping control. The 2011 damper LS comp adjustment didn't work well for me (it did work as intended, just not what I liked), but I'm spoiled, and like the uber small bump I get out of it at the fully open setting. Even one step down really affected the overall trail feel, at least in terms of what I like and the trails I ride....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I just want the carbon version

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    "the only changes for 2012 Leftys will be to go from white to black".
    Awesome, I was hoping for an all black lefty! Any word on when they might be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schoei View Post
    Awesome, I was hoping for an all black lefty! Any word on when they might be available?

My 2012 29er Carbon Lefty XLR arrived at the shop Tuesday - bike should be built up by Saturday afternoon (waiting for matchmaker clamp to be delivered tomorrow - I can't wait!).
    2012 Seven Ti SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hey i have a rize 3 and something cracked on the Lefty max w/pbr 130mm bike. i took it to the shop and the guy said it would cost 800+ just to get it checked out which i thought was wayy too much money. is it possible to buy different types of forks or do i have to buy the same exact one. also is my fork fixable? and if i can buy a different fork what do you suggest for me thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ahh i think i just need new clamps is it possible to buy these parts only and put them on does anyone know how to do this or have a manual where i could figure this out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    does anyone know where i can send an order in for just clamps?

mtbr member
    You cant just by new clamps for that lefty, you will need a whole new upper assembly. I think Cannondale would want to do this for you. If I remember correctly, Aluminum runs about $300 before labor charges and I'm sure carbon is more. This is if you have a non OPI lefty though.

Quote Originally Posted by nyctrekker View Post
    hey i have a rize 3 and something cracked on the Lefty max w/pbr 130mm bike. i took it to the shop and the guy said it would cost 800+ just to get it checked out which i thought was wayy too much money. is it possible to buy different types of forks or do i have to buy the same exact one. also is my fork fixable? and if i can buy a different fork what do you suggest for me thanks!!!
    Not knowing what cracked, impossible to give you any idea on fixes etc, but I can say with sound mind that $800 to check it out is near the cost of a new fork, and that shop in question doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey mendon thanks for replying its the upper clamp where the nut goes it is slightly cracked when i took it to my lbs they told me i basically had to pay for everything plus what they charge. Do u know if i can just contact cannondale muself or does it have to ho through my lbs in order to be fixed

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctrekker View Post
    Hey mendon thanks for replying its the upper clamp where the nut goes it is slightly cracked when i took it to my lbs they told me i basically had to pay for everything plus what they charge. Do u know if i can just contact cannondale muself or does it have to ho through my lbs in order to be fixed
    That's the third one of these on this forum in a month. Here is a thread about another one a month ago. Cracked upper fork crown

You cannot go directly through Cannondale, but there is another route. There is a guy upstate that works on Leftys and he could get you going quick for less than half of what your shop is trying to charge you. His name is Craig Smith and he has a shop in Mendon, NY and he just relied to your post above. His link is at the bottom of his post....give him a call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the info will do!