mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Lefty Fork Boot Mod with Outerwears Shock Cover

I thought you folks make like to see this Review of the Outerwears ShockWears shock cover custom made for the Cannondale Lefty 2009 Carbon DLR SL 29er fork.

This is a custom order shock cover as the company has not built a cover for this application in the past, to my knowledge. Hopefully, with this review some people will be interested in purchasing the ShockWears and you won't be accessed a $10 "Custom" design fee or have a longer wait time. The part number for this item in Standard material is 100-3494. I was working with Nick and Craig on this order. Price is $16.95. 1-800-697-3450 Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears
    This is a very cheap way to shed about 58grams. My stock boot with clamps weighs 53g + air filter boot with clamps = 15g. The ShockWears cover weighs 9.3g + 2 zip ties= 11g

The material is lightweight but non-porous. It is the typical material they use for off-road shock applications. It protects against water dirt, rocks and mud. It is a durable material and features elastic bands on top and bottom and a small 3/8 inch Velcro strip that runs the length of the cover.

Having the Velcro strip will allow for easy removal for washing without having to stretch a boot over the axel, which can be very challenging. I had previously been using a 29er inner tube as the boot cover with the stock air filter boot. This is a pretty common modification for weight weenies out there that use this fork. The ShockWears cover is designed to replace both the stock boot and the stock air filter boot. Since this cover has a Velcro strip, it is not air tight and should allow for enough air to enter the Lefty vent hole, without debris or water.

When ordering, I asked for a cover that is 8.5" long and 1.5" diameter, no taper. The diameter fit is perfect!!! The elastic works very well to secure the bottom end nicely, but then you can stretch the material almost taught to wrap around the larger diameter carbon fiber fork barrel. I secure the top and bottom with a zip tie. There is plenty of clearance between the shock cover and the rotor.

If I were to order this again, I would ask for the length to be 7" long. You will see from the photos that the vent hole sits 2 3/8" below the top of the cover. So, an overall length of 7" would be perfect and it would be a gram or 2 lighter.

Photos below should tell the rest of the story and how it fits. I will go on a test ride tomorrow to check for slippage or any other problems.

It looks great. They also make the covers in other colors.

In this photo I just turned the cover so that you can see the Velcro strip.

Here you can see the fit is great. Even when compressing the fork the material stays very close to the shock and does not get close to the rotor or the wheel spokes. Great clearance.

My thumb is marking the bottom of the carbon fiber barrel. This is the point where the diameter increases.

Here I am marking the vent hole. If I were to order another cover, I would ask for an overall length on 7" not the 8.5 inches that I requested. I ordered it a little long because I was unsure how large the elastic bands would be.

Here you can see the vent hole is 2 5/8" below the top of the cover. A shorter cover would look better and expose more of that beautiful carbon fiber barrel.

The following pictures show the packaging, weight, and measurements when flat.

Scott Scale 29er with Carbon Lefty at an insane 16.9 pounds.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I predict badness for this.

The material (I'm guessing) will end up getting cut to shreds as it rumples up and gets stuffed into the upper while it's compressing onto the lower over and over and over and over.....

Also more $$$ than a $10 boot for the trouble.

Cool if you're happy. Get back in a few months ride time,and let us know how it's going. If they hold up well, protect as well as the rubber boots, and come in a slew of colors, it might gain some traction.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My concern is how it rubs on the internal fork components. Not worth saving any weight/money/time/install aggravation if you ruin the fork. If it shaved weight and cost Cannondale less to spec and didn't cause problems, it would be on the bike from the factory.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    My concern is how it rubs on the internal fork components. Not worth saving any weight/money/time/install aggravation if you ruin the fork. If it shaved weight and cost Cannondale less to spec and didn't cause problems, it would be on the bike from the factory.
    Nah, coated nylony stuff isn't going to ruin steel races. And even if it did, $20 for all 4 and you're back in business....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    I goota agree with mendon here....the thing is, those covers are meant for shock struts which are completely sealed already....they are just that..."covers". The rubber boot's job is to keep any sort of grime out of those delicate needle races and bearings....on top of that I don't even see the air filter in the correct spot anymore so this whole contraption looks like trouble to me too....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First ride today and it worked great. It stayed in place and did not rumple up.

Previous to this I was using a 29er inner tube mod. So this is a step up.

I agree that this cover is not intended to be a better performer than the stock boot. It is a lighter alternative.

Maniac, the air filter boot was just slid up and out of the way. This cover covers the vent hole. I did not have the time to remove the wheel and wrangle with the oil filter cover to remove it. Besides, I wanted to make sure the cover worked before I went through the trouble of removing it.

It's coming off tonight.
    Scott Scale 29er with Carbon Lefty at an insane 16.9 pounds.

Helmetless Crasher
    Kudos to the OP for making the effort and posting up. Look forward to youor long-term review.

As mentioned above, a shock cover is not intended to replace a shock's OE means of sealing out contaminants, but is intended to simply augment whatever system is already in place. So I have to believe that removing the OE boot system and replacing with this is a step in the wrong direction in terms of sealing out contaminants.

Its like replacing a cone air filter with just a filter cover. You'd be asking the filter cover to do a lot more than what it was designed for.

If I am misunderstanding this - somebody set me straight.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two