mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Lefty- followed the manual and got Stripped Threads

Hi guys,

was resetting the bearings on my lefty and following the instructions in my manual closely. Everything went well with the reset and then came the re-assembly.

put the blue lock out lever in place and started tightening the nut that holds it in place. Manual says 5 Nm, which I thought was a bit much for such a small nut, but decided to follow it and set my torque wrench. Well lo and behold, ended up stripping the threads on the inner cartridge (circled in blue below), and on the nut as well.

So guys, what do I do now? Do I actually have to replace the inner cartridge? that would be a disaster haha.

Lefty- followed the manual and got Stripped Threads-capture.jpg

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Lefty- followed the manual and got Stripped Threads

Isn't the nut nylon? If it only stripped the treads on the nut (and not the shaft), you should be able to replace the nut on the cheap.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The nut is definitely metal, unfortunately. When I over tightened it, the nut actually managed to slightly deform the lockout lever as well. So it can't be nylon.

inspecting the threads, i can definitely see that the part on the cartridge has stripped.

has no one else followed the torque specs and got these results before? is my torque wrench that off? It usually serves me pretty well.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The threads on that shaft are super fine, it's easy to get it mis-clocked, and think it's going well, when in fact, you're chewing up the threads.

See it many times.

If you find a place that has old parts, you'll be able to get the shaft replaced with a full damper tear down. Most places won't have that though, and a new PBR damper will fix it too, and you'll not need to unscrew anything other than the collar, to do resets any more. So, nice bonus, but more $ than just replacing that upper shaft assembly....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    hmm, ok thanks for that. How much load does that nut actually bear though? Would it be acceptable, if I used a dab of hot glue to keep the lock out lever in place instead?

Assuming we're talking the top nut and not the one under the lockout lever, none really. It basically stabilizes the lock lever to keep it still, and, from damaging the threads by wobbling around as you turn it back and forth.

Hot glue? I wouldn't. Will only make things more of a PITA when you go to do another reset, as well as once you finally decide to get the fork looked at by someone with the right bits and knowledge.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yeah, I'm talking about the top nut that holds the lever in place, not the one under it (that one's fine).

Well, any suggestion then on how to stabilize the lockout lever in the mean time, before I try to get the cartridge shaft replaced?

Just snug the nut down as best you can (can't make the damaged threads any worse, shaft, or nut) and don't use the lockout. No twisting means no further damage. The rebound knob should be able to keep the whole thing from just flying off, but don't trust it long term.

A ride ir two, type thing.

Best to get it resolved ASAP.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com