mtbr member

THE Lefty Fender

I finally grew weary of coming home feeling like I had a load in my shorts (soaking wet chamois) and a solid stripe of mud or urban filth up my back and front from the melting snow. So, this past fall, I hunted down THE (Toby Henderson Enterprises) fenders that I'd seen a number of years ago in an issue of MBA.

These fenders are sweet, but there's one little gotcha for Lefty owners... the oversized steering tube and the bracket that comes with the front fender assembly... it doesn't even come close to working with the Lefty.

About a month ago, I called THE Industries and was told that they actually do have a Lefty bracket but that they were out of stock... call back in a month. I called last week... still no brackets in stock. So this afternoon, I took matters into my own hands.

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a "rubber expansion plug" ($4.50). I bought the size slightly smaller than the actual inside diameter of the steering tube so you can kinda angle it sideways to get the expansion plug all the way up inside the steering tube due to the little rivet on the right-hand side.

Next, I heated up the metal bracket with a propane torch and then pounded it flat. I neglected to take a picture of it before I beat the crap out of it, but suffice to say, it's got several 90-degree bends in it to accommodate a mounting to standard fork. I highly suggest heating it with something to make the metal much more willing to take the shape you want it. It was pretty cold here today in Denver. Trying to pound out a very cold chunk of metal probably wouldn't work too well. Don't forget to use a pair of heavy-duty pliers or a good pair of leather gloves to avoid branding or burning yourself!!!

Next, I did a little bit of custom trimming on the font-half of the fender (there are two halves). I basically had to trim the back, left part of the piece so it fit snug up against the Lefty fork bracket. I took small "nibbles" with a SHARP pair of scissors and after 15 minutes of careful trimming, I had a custom-fit.

To finish off the project, I had to carefully align each half of the fender onto the bracket, mark the mounting points and drill new holes in the bracket. Then, I also had to do some slight "tweaking" of the angle of the bracket, so the fender halves fit and looked right. That only took a few taps with a hammer and the edge of my workbench.

I've attached pic's of the final outcome and a good shot of the bracket.

Hopefully, this will help other Lefty owners out there.

-JL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JLampitt; 01-06-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Add additional photo...

Red Rider
    Hey JLampitt watcha doing with my bike? Lol! Looks just like mine. Good mods, great bike. Do you do a lot of commuting on you bike vs trailriding?
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...

bi-winning
    for taking matters into your own hands, and solving the problem.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrider_stx
    Hey JLampitt watcha doing with my bike? Lol! Looks just like mine. Good mods, great bike. Do you do a lot of commuting on you bike vs trailriding?
    Ain't it sweet?! Love my Prophet. Love everything about it.

I don't do much road riding with it, but today I just had to get out for a ride and I didn't feel like putting the studded tires on for the trip up Waterton (I live in Roxborough). (You probably noticed the Michelin slicks? GREAT tires by the way...) Took the Prophet and rode the Centennial Trail out along E470 and then south toward Castle Rock on the Parker section of the Cherry Creek Trail.

Was wishing I had my front fenders on with all the damn goose crap all over the bike path and thus my motivation for the mod.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JL- fenders look awesome!

I have mine on the bike as well- except for the downtube one (haven't figured it out yet).

mtbr member
    I think MacGyver changed a lot of peoples lives!
    Great mod, nice job, well done, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I have mine on the bike as well- except for the downtube one (haven't figured it out yet).

Pics? Did you have to make your own bracket?

I finally gave up on the downtube shroud after making several cardboard replicas of it and unsuccessfully trying to route cables and stuff through it, over it, under it, etc. It fit perfect on my SuperV though.

JL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No pics but I'll try to take some today. My process was pretty simple. All I had to do was buy a thicker screw/bolt for underside of the fork (a Pike) and do a little plastic trimming on the piece that the fender slides onto.

mtbr member
    Cool... I'll look forward to seeing your solution.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dude, that is so kewl. Just put a rear fender on my Rush yesterday and am wheely-ing the front wheel thru the junk. Been thinking on a solution--yours sounds good as any.

The fender does not move with the wheel tho--right?

mtbr member
    I have to say it's a sweet mod... Put the sudded tires on the Prophet last night and went out toodling around. I'm only sorry I haven't had these fenders on before now.

italian globetrotter
    Aug 2006
    great job!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Smile chain stay frame guard?

Hi cool lefty fender conversion. I'm probably going to do the same with my prophet. What kind of chain stay do you have? pretty cool!

Thanks,
    -n23

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by neo23
    Hi cool lefty fender conversion. I'm probably going to do the same with my prophet. What kind of chain stay do you have? pretty cool!

Thanks,
    -n23

Neo,

Welcome to the forum. You may not get a response from the poster of this thread as this was an older one from January of 2008. To answer your question, that is the factory Cannondale chainstay protector. If I am not mistaken all new cannondales are fitted with them or at least they used to be.

mtbr member
    LOL, I didn't realize it was so old either.... I was thinking he borrowed the idea from Dirtrag a few issues ago....looks like they got it from the OP a year ago

Quote Originally Posted by brows141
    Neo,

Welcome to the forum. You may not get a response from the poster of this thread as this was an older one from January of 2008. To answer your question, that is the factory Cannondale chainstay protector. If I am not mistaken all new cannondales are fitted with them or at least they used to be.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Actually this mod for mounting the front fender was completely home-grown by yours-truly! I sure would like to see the Dirtrag issue!

If it helps other's come up with similar ideas, I'm happy I was able to contribute to the community.

mtbr member
    I should also report that the fender and original mod/mount is sitting in my seasonal parts bin, just waiting for this next fall/winter season. It's still going strong!