Thread: Lefty Failed

mtbr member

Lefty Failed

I've been riding my 05 Prophet for quite some time. Had it upgraded from the 140mm TPC Max to the PBR a few years ago. Last week I was about to descend and went over a small rock. We are talking maybe a 8" drop. I heard a loud metallic snap like you would expect if you broke the head off a large bolt. The next thing I knew my frame/headset hit the tire and I was airborne. I hit the ground and severed the ligaments in my shoulder. The doctor called it a grade 3 AC separation. My collarbone is basically sitting up a lot higher than it was before. Initially I thought I broke it. I was wondering if anyone out there thought Cannondale would replace it? I basically don't have any faith in it now.

Sweater
    Sucks about the crash. I did something similar to my shoulder while snowboarding about 10 years ago. I'm not sure about any replacement from Cannondale but it couldn't hurt to contact them. Have you figured out what failed on the Lefty? I've got a 2010 PBR carbon.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wow, bummer! Glad you're okay on the whole though, headers can always take a turn for the worse....

Yeah, I'd be curious what failed too, sounds like the damper lost it's "mooring" in some capacity, hence the sudden collapse.

Not to be that guy, but you said "a few years ago", on the update. Things do loosen with time and use. Could be a cautionary tale about routine service for all our equipment.

Heal well!!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Just a flesh wound
    Just read this. Wow! You and I talked about the Lefty having clearance for the Neo Moto 2.3's a month ago. Sorry about the crash. What actually broke on the Lefty? I have the same setup so curious about what I need to check on.

Get better soon.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    I'm so sorry I got pulled away at work while writing this post and thought I put the actual cause in before I hit submit. At this point all I know is what I saw at the crash in the dark. Ultimately the cap came off and that is what in turn collapsed the fork. We screwed the cap back on, on the trail. I wasn't paying attention when my buddy did that. I don't know if there are threads missing or the cap has a crack in it or if threads broke on the lefty body. We hand tightened it enough that I could sorta ride one handed back to the truck on smooth spots. When I got home my buddy hung the bike up on my wall rack in the garage and at this point I can't get it down to look at it until I have one of them over and we can put it in the rack. I have moved that fork around and rebuilt it on a different frame recently. At this point I don't know if it loosened up, failed, or something else that I haven't thought of.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    That certainly makes sense. I'll be curious to hear what you find when you get a chance to take a peek at the thing.....

Healing vibes!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Just a flesh wound
    When I do a bearing reset on my Lefty, I always pay attention to the cap. If it unscrews, total failure. You are lucky it didn't hit you in the face. Curious about what you find when you get a chance to look at the cap and threads.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.