mtbr member
    Dec 2005

lefty DLR2 question

Took my first ride tonight on my new Caffeine F2. I set the fork pressure by C-dales recommendation at 155psi. After a bit of riding I stopped to see if I accidently left the fork locked, it was that stiff! Luckily I had my shock pump in my camelback, so I dropped the pressure to 140. A little bit later I went to 130, then 120, and finally 115. It is close now, I'm gonna try 110 and maybe 105 tomorrow. Problem is I'm 225lbs. Has anyone else had to run the pressure in the fork that much lower than the recommended pressures or is there a possible problem with my fork? Any insight guys?

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    No, in fact I run mine between 5-10PSI higher than recommended. Have it checked out!

clone
    May 2004
    My experience mirrors your's - I'm running about 30psi lower than the specs suggest, but it's working as it ought to. Lefty's take a bit of breaking in - keep an eye on it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm running it exactly as recommended, ad it works great, much better than Marzocchi Z2 on my previous bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'll ask the stupid question, are you sure it wasn't in lock out mode? Cannondales specs usually seem a tad firm, but not 40 to 50 psi off. They do start out life fairly stiff, due to the grease viscosity, but that should calm down soon. Keep us posted
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

check your damping too

if your damping knob is minused all the way out (turned counter clockwise until no more clicks) it may partially account for what feels like a harsh air pressure. i like 6-8 clicks (clockwise or +) from least possible damping setting (at cannondale's recommended pressures).

stem length can also subtly effect feel if you've changed from stock to something radically shorter/longer as it would shift upper body weight off/onto the lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    if your damping knob is minused all the way out (turned counter clockwise until no more clicks) it may partially account for what feels like a harsh air pressure. i like 6-8 clicks (clockwise or +) from least possible damping setting (at cannondale's recommended pressures).

stem length can also subtly effect feel if you've changed from stock to something radically shorter/longer as it would shift upper body weight off/onto the lefty.
    I'll second the damping here. If rebound is set super fast the fork gets very tight and might feel really stiff. There is a wide range of adjustment, so make sure you have it set how you like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    No, it wasn't locked, but I understand you having to ask. I rode with it at 105 this morning, and it is close to how I'd like it. I'll probably go to 100 and leave it. Rebound is set about 5 clicks from full slow. When I started yesterday I could stand on the pedals and slam my upperbody onto the fork and it would barely move, it was seriously that stiff.

BTW this is my 5th c-dale with a lefty. I've had a 140max, a 140 carbon, a 100ELO, a 110 terralogic, and this 110 DLR2. I still have the ELO and the terralogic, so I'm familiar with the lefty in general.

I want to ride
    I'm riding the same F2. I weigh in at 160lbs and have my dlr2 set at 105psi, and am quiet happy with it.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    I could stand on the pedals and slam my upperbody onto the fork and it would barely move, it was seriously that stiff.

Hmmm, well if it persists, I would get it checked. My thought at that point is that the races are over toleranced, but that's me, driving from the back seat
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a DLR2 on my Rush, weigh 165, and run it about 110. Seems to be fine to me, and that's what Cannondale reccomends. What do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hmmm, well if it persists, I would get it checked. My thought at that point is that the races are over toleranced, but that's me, driving from the back seat

Thanks for the replies Mendon. Is there a way I can check the races? I know on the max forks you took the top off and could telescope the whole fork to reset the bearings. Same principle here? I guess I'll try looking on the C-dale site.

I weigh 225lbs. So yeah, something must be screwy. I could understand being a little off, but not 50psi, and I haven't bottomed the fork yet at that pressure.