mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Lefty DLR2 Lowrider

I'm going to look at a C'dale Rush with a Lefty DLR2 this weekend. I had the PO measure the tire to crown distance as it looked weird in the photos. Turns out it's 3.5". I think DLR2s for that model should be about 120mm total, for 110mm travel. Is it likely that the bearings just need to be reset, or is there something potentially more sinister? He said that at one point it filled up with water and rusted solid; it was then sent to cannondale for a rebuild and has been fine since. I'm not sure when that was exactly. Could that have something to do with the missing travel?

I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I go and make an offer/buy the bike, only to end up with a Lefty needing service right off the bat...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    DLR2's have 110mm.

They also use a coil negative spring which really pulled down on the forks travel. Particularly if it's a heavier spring, and less than an appropriate amount of air for said spring, is being run.

If it feels nice and smooth, locks out well, I'd say you're likely just fine.

Doubt that anything the rebuild did, is affecting what you're seeing.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So a bearing reset and I should be all set? The amount of missing travel, ~30mm, is not a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    So a bearing reset and I should be all set? The amount of missing travel, ~30mm, is not a concern?
    Driving from the back seat with the limited info I have, yes, that'd be my approach.

If you can, bring the tools requisite for the job and do it before purchase.

Like I said though, those coil negatives really sucked the forks down too.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks!

Do you think a PBR upgrade would have a relatively similar overall effect on travel? IE, putting a 100mm PBR damper in the fork (since there's no 110 IIRC), would have the same travel since extra is taken up by the coil negative/there would be less sag?

I'd love to try that upgrade but I don't want to lose/unbalance travel...of course, if it has the same travel in effect....

Most likely, yep.

The travel lost by the negative spring is going to be close to the same or more (since air pressure raises or lowers the fork with a coil neg).....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Or, your lefty has accumulated trapped negative air which will have it compress by itself, very common on the DLR2 forks that do not have a solo air piston.
    My DLR2 was like that before I upgraded it.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Or, your lefty has accumulated trapped negative air which will have it compress by itself, very common on the DLR2 forks that do not have a solo air piston.
    My DLR2 was like that before I upgraded it.
    Easily repairable?

Ridin' dirty!
    You can check by simply releasing all of the air first, then flip your bike over and remove the bottom part of the lefty (that big nut with the airvalve)....
    make sure you sloooooowly unscrew it and don't be standing right over it (cover it with a rag too!).......if the valve inside should be defective and there is air trapped that plug will shoot out like a cork from a champagne bottle along with the air piston...once it's out see if it is the updated one that has 2 o-rings.....if it has only one it's a quick fix as you can simply insert the new one and screw the bottom plug back on.....if you do have the one like in the link I posted then you can either replace those 2 seals to see if that soves the issue, or better yet send it to mendon for a service or a pbr upgrade.
    Did I mention to stay clear of the plug and to cover it with a rag when you unscrew it?

Google Image Result for http://www.cannondalestore.de/SHOP/800/KF213_001.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mendon, do you have either replacement negative springs or air pistons available?

That's a bit too serious a test to do on a test ride, I think. The rebuild was three years ago, so 2009ish?

Ridin' dirty!
    Last service was 3 years ago???? Definitely time for a rebuild/service.....

mtbr member
    ALL forks should get serviced once a year *(two legged or one ;-) )

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No, it was sent in for repair three years ago, he says it's been maintained regularly since the repair. It's probably due for a rebuild, so I'll try and account for that, but we'll see. I'd really just like to make sure I have a decent base going forward.

Ridin' dirty!
    No, it was sent in for repair three years ago, he says it's been maintained regularly since the repair. It's probably due for a rebuild, so I'll try and account for that, but we'll see. I'd really just like to make sure I have a decent base going forward.
    If it was sent in for repair 3 years ago and properly done, why would he mention it was frozen......????sounds fishy....just saying....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Welp, test rode it today, he allowed me to reset the bearings and I gained back 20mm, so it went back to 110 mm clearance pretty easily. I still think it might be missing some, but that could be the negative spring that people talk about. I'm guessing it's a medium spring and I'm 200lb, so I could probably move up anyways. It'll probably go to Mendysmith at some point for a tune up, but it works considerably well with the rebound cranked up high.

There's a little play/travel with the fork locked out, is that normal?

There's a little play/travel with the fork locked out, is that normal?
    Means there's been some oil loss. A fork that hasn't seen service in 3 or 4 years? I'd expect that.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com