mtbr member

Lefty DLR2 lockout lever migration

I took my Lefty DLR2 apart when I first got it to see which weight spring was installed and since then have had problems with my lock out lever. The lever now rotates the counter clockwise to lock out as opposed to the clockwise of most Lefties. When descending rock gardens and other rough terrain, the lever slowly migrates to the new lockout position, which can be a real pain on a four mile descent. I have personally reinstalled the lever three times and my mechanic has tried about 6 times, yet we can't get anything to work. Any advice? Thanks.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member

mine too

i have a rush with a dlr2 carbon if u take the rebound knob off and then remove the lock out lever the nut on the shaft below the lock out lever tighten it a small amount and try it thats what fixed mine.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So....you're saying that you have to turn it backwards, from how it was before, or that it's position from on to off, is now in a different position, than originally? Can't see how it could have changed directions of function, it's mechanically impossible.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the big top cap (the one you need a shimano BB tool to undo) is loose, the whole damper shaft can rotate within the cartridge. The lever will move with it.

mtbr member
    Mendon: If I recall correctly the lockout lever originaly roatated clockwise from open to locked out... now it roatates counter clockwise no matter where I position open (towards the front or towards the rear. The fact that it rotates thoe opposite dirrection seems to be what keeps it from staying open.

I now have the instructions for dismantelling the whole top end assembly and will give it another go today.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9
    Mendon: If I recall correctly the lockout lever originaly roatated clockwise from open to locked out... now it roatates counter clockwise no matter where I position open (towards the front or towards the rear. The fact that it rotates thoe opposite dirrection seems to be what keeps it from staying open.

I now have the instructions for dismantelling the whole top end assembly and will give it another go today.

Thanks.
    Hmmm, it is supposed to turn to lock, clockwise. You're saying you now turn it counter clock wise to lock it out, and from that point, it springs back to unlock?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The lever turns counterclockwise now to lockout. It doesn't return to lockout right away. It takes a lot of compression cycles to go back to locked out. About a mile of descending will lock the fork out if I don't pay attention to it. Thanks

Someone who knows the deal, needs to get in there, it's apparent that something is very goofy in there. Have a good shop locally?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I work at one. The head mechanic has spent some time on it but always comes up short. It still works great, better than anything I have ever ridden, it is just anoying. Now my Fox Float is out as well. It has been a great few days bike wise

Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9
    I work at one. The head mechanic has spent some time on it but always comes up short. It still works great, better than anything I have ever ridden, it is just anoying. Now my Fox Float is out as well. It has been a great few days bike wise
    If he's really been in there, and there's no resolution, warranty it, or have the rep (if they're good) take a look. There's no way it can be like that, unless it got forced into it. It's like saying your lightswitch in the bathroom suddenly started working backwards, just not gonna happen. Good luck!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sacrifice a virgin.