mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Lefty DLR2 carbon problems...

Hi guys
    I hope you can help my lefty, cause I'm seriously thinking about conversion to fox 120rlc.

The problem: According to C-dale I should inflate my lefty up to around 120 psi. At that pressure I'm getting 10% sag at most. To achieve 25% recommended sag I have to deflate to about 80psi, but lefty gets shorter then. On 80 psi I'm getting 625mm, on 150psi - 645mm - should be 655mm according to manual. Yes, I did reset my bearings many times, and the lenght without top cap is 695mm as it should be. Have you got any ideas what is causing the problem?

If not, do you know any front hub that require same spoke lenghts as lefty omega hub? Or any conversion kit, like dummy truing axle but with "ride on" instead of "no ride" on it?

Thanks, matiass

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You might need to change the negative spring to a softer one.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    You might need to change the negative spring to a softer one.
    Yes.

What he ^^^ said.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Problem is, I was thinking the same way before. I already bought blue negative spring (apropriate for my weight) and told my lbs to replace it. They gave me black (extra firm) in return, but said that the black one is softer...
    I didn't know back then about bearing reset procedure and my lbs probably didn't do it either.
    I couldn't really tell the difference because of my other (air leakage) lefty problems, but now I've done and measured everything by the book, and I 'm not happy with it.
    Can I replace the negative spring by my own without castle tool?

Thanks, matiass

Actually I'm thinking they could have send me the SL spring which is shorter;/
    Last edited by matiass; 06-26-2010 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That sucks, and your LBS sucks, if I understand correctly. (They talked you into an extra firm spring.) They should really make it right by you by doing the work for you. (Or better year, upgrading you to SoloAir.)

But if that doesn't work out, I'll be happy to lend you my castle tool (yes, you do need it to change the negative spring.) But it is an easy procedure. PM me your address and I'll send.

Quote Originally Posted by matiass
    I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Problem is, I was thinking the same way before. I already bought blue negative spring (apropriate for my weight) and told my lbs to replace it. They gave me black (extra firm) in return, but said that the black one is softer...
    I didn't know back then about bearing reset procedure and my lbs probably didn't do it either.
    I couldn't really tell the difference because of my other (air leakage) lefty problems, but now I've done and measured everything by the book, and I 'm not happy with it.
    Can I replace the negative spring by my own without castle tool?

Thanks, matiass

Actually I'm thinking they could have send me the SL spring which is shorter;/
    Last edited by almontebarnes; 06-26-2010 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wow, thats really awesome of you. But don't bother I only have an extrafirm spring to change to which would give me more travel, but it would still be harsh if I'm thinking correctly. And I would have to order the right spring from germany, cause my lbs no longer sells cannondales, and the official reseller here in Poland has got really terrible prices.

Actually maybe even cheaper would be to change to my fox 120rlc which would probably work better than a new lefty dlr2. I even found a front hub that requires same spoke lenght, as c-dale lefty hub.

About my lbs, you misunderstood. I bought used lefty with black spring in it(the extrafirm), than I bought a blue spring (proper one) and told my lbs to replace it. They did it but they said that the black spring, which they gave me in return, is softer. Now I'm thinking that dr.cannondale, where I ordered the blue spring, might have send me an SL spring, which is shorter and my lbs didn't notice. But I might be wrong;]

Thanks a lot
    matiass