mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Lefty DLR SL - Inner Race Clip - My installation method

OK. I've just rebuilt another SL. I've learned so much from this forum and it's super-star members.

One thing I've never explicity learned is how to reinstall the inner bearing clip after reassembling the upper and lower forks / telescopes.

I've followed the Mendon method for re-assembling the telescope (sausage inner tube to hold the inner outer races in place). I temporarily hold the inner races and the bearings on top of them in place on the fork lower with electrical tape and a rubber band.

But I do this without the inner race clip in place. With the inner race clip in place, this would never re-assemble.

I install the inner clip from the top of the fork after re-assembly. This is my method. It works, but takes 20-ish minutes. Is there a better way?

• Take my old (used) inner races and slide them down the outer / upper fork bowing inwards. When it gets down to the near the top of the lower, I wedge it between the top of the inner race and the fork lower.
    • Repeat for each of the three other races. Make sure they stick out a little from the top of the upper fork.
    • Crompress the fork as much as possible.
    • Place the inner race clip a couple of inches inside the top of the fork upper, held in place by the inward bowing of the old raced.
    • Turn the upper fork upside down.
    • Take a wood dowel of exactly the right diameter and place it through the top of the fork upper. The dowel should be about the diameter of the race clip itself. Push it until it hits the top of the lower. Prevent it from re-extending the fork. Make sure the old races don't move and still stick out of the top of the fork upper a little.
    • With the dowel in place, turn the fork upper back to be right-side up.
    • Now the clip should be sitting in place on top of the lower. You can't see it because the dowel is still in place.
    • Pull out one of the old races at a time.
    • Pull the dowel out.
    • All should be in place. If not, at least one or two of the races should have cliped onto the clip. Use a spoke or other object to nudge the remaining ones in place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bumpity?