mtbr member

Lefty DLR self service...

I have acquired a Lefty DLR from unknown vintage (not sure if it's a 100 or a 110 mm travel), maybe a 2001 or 2002.

Since its history is "unkown" I'd like to take it apart to give it a minimum service (lube the bearing, change the oil).

I could not find any service manual on the Cannondale web site describing out to take that fork (or any!) apart. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    do you have Cannondale's Castle tool?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    do you have Cannondale's Castle tool?
    No I don't... :-(

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    At a minimum you need that, but it's actually the Kidney tool for older DLR's. That pulls the cartridge. To go further, you need a set of shaft clamps, a bullet tool, a green pin spanner and seals. To go any further into the fork, you'll need a race retainer/race clip removal tool, and preferably a bearing reset gauge as well. All told you're over $100 in tools etc. If you're a dedicated DIYer, and have good past successes, you'll find it a fun challenge, and who needs an excuse to buy more tools? If you're simply too cheap to want to have it done professionally, I'd recommend saving your dimes, and have it done in that fashion anyway. It will save you heartache, and additional expense. No offense meant
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I usually do all the maintenance on all my bikes, including the suspensions. Since this bike will be my daughter and she'll probably won't ride it extensively, I might as well drop the fork at my local shop to get it serviced. They quoted me $45 to $65, which sounds reasonable.

One questions tho: if I want to experiment with oil viscosity to get a real smooth fork, do I need any special tools to change the oil in the damping cartridge?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    One questions tho: if I want to experiment with oil viscosity to get a real smooth fork, do I need any special tools to change the oil in the damping cartridge?
    Yes, you'll need the kidney too to remove it, shaft clamps, bullet tool, and green spanner. Viscosity won't affect smoothness, just damping speed. Since it's adjustable anyway, the stock 2.5 wt should be fine, particularly since I'm guessing your daughter isn't a linebacker in the weight dept. If she weighed like 250 and needed the pressure jacked up, that wt oil might me overpowered by the spring rate.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com