mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Lefty DLR lockout problem

On my girlfriend's F800 (model year 2002) I have noticed that when she locks the fork, it still travels distance of 1-2mm and some strange "clicks" come out of the middle part of the fork. Could anyone guess what is broken or how to get the lock out working properly? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakon
    On my girlfriend's F800 (model year 2002) I have noticed that when she locks the fork, it still travels distance of 1-2mm and some strange "clicks" come out of the middle part of the fork. Could anyone guess what is broken or how to get the lock out working properly? Thanks
    one more thing, when I lock out the fork and try to press it it moves a millimeter, as I have described above, but only when I press quicky. When I compress the fork slowly, while still locked, it travels nearly all the distance and remains compressed untill I again open lock out.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The cartridge shim stack has gotten a crack in one or more of the shims, typically this occurs when the fork is ridden for long periods of time with the lockout on, in a mountain bike-ish way, not a light, path rider way. The lock out is just a gate through which the oil can pass, close the gate, no flow through. Ride that real hard, jam on that gate repeatedly, and the thin metal eventually gives way. I can fix 95% of what these forks do, but that one must go back to the factory, sorry. You can contact me @ cats3elton@aol.com if you have any other ????? about this issue. Good luck!