Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lefty DLR has gritty feel

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  damion 
#1 ·
When I compress the Lefty, it is not smooth at all. It has a gritty feel but doesn't stick. The lockout works.

What does this mean?
Contamination?
bad bearings?
Does it need a rebuild?
What can I expect this to cost?
Does this happen to all lefty's after awhile?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
kayac said:
I would try first to pull down the boot and put some quality grease inside de lefty, where the bearings roll. I' ve done this once a month and the lefty is always smooth. Try it.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

I've spoken with one shop around here who says it may need cleaning which means an overhaul, but it's not outrageous...best case scenario. Worst case is + parts.

Crossing my fingers.

Ed

#4 ·
Try Judy Butter.

or Slick Honey. Pull up the fork boot and lube the flats that the bearings glide on. Cycle the fork a few times. If the flat surfaces are pitted, or rusty/damaged, you will need to have it rebuilt with new parts. You will be looking at a $100 (about) rebuild if the bearings and the races need to be replaced. If you have to go to that point, have the damper oil changed at the same time.

#7 ·
damion said:
If the flat surfaces are pitted, or rusty/damaged, you will need to have it rebuilt with new parts. You will be looking at a $100 (about) rebuild if the bearings and the races need to be replaced. If you have to go to that point, have the damper oil changed at the same time.
It needs a rebuild. In addition, the shrader air valve is damaged so it can't be pumped up. Is it really only $100? I've been told 150-200 is more likely...

#8 ·
damion said:
If the flat surfaces are pitted, or rusty/damaged, you will need to have it rebuilt with new parts. You will be looking at a $100 (about) rebuild if the bearings and the races need to be replaced. If you have to go to that point, have the damper oil changed at the same time.
Yup. $100 for a full rebuild with new bearings, or so that's the latest I've heard.

I can't believe the variability in shop experience I've heard on this subject. I spoke with 4 different C'Dale shops and finally only one actuall knew what they were talking about it seems. 1 said the shock was completely shot, 1 said for $200 it might be repairable, 1 said it would cost somewhere between 50 to 150 and 1 said C'Dale charges $100 flat fee for full rebuild with new bearings and races at the factory.

Suddenly $100 sounds like a deal for a Lefty overhaul!

...still wondering what eighy-eight does...

#9 ·
EdZilla said:
Yup. $100 for a full rebuild with new bearings, or so that's the latest I've heard.

I can't believe the variability in shop experience I've heard on this subject. I spoke with 4 different C'Dale shops and finally only one actuall knew what they were talking about it seems. 1 said the shock was completely shot, 1 said for $200 it might be repairable, 1 said it would cost somewhere between 50 to 150 and 1 said C'Dale charges $100 flat fee for full rebuild with new bearings and races at the factory.

Suddenly $100 sounds like a deal for a Lefty overhaul!

...still wondering what eighy-eight does...
Hey I'm sending my Lefty back to Cannondale, hopefully for a rebuilt or an upgrade. I've had some issues as well with the Lefty. If you have a warranty it won't cost you anything except for shipping costs. From my understanding if it's shot and your willing to give it up you'll get a replacement, that may cost you but not quite sure how much. Remember C'Dale has an upgrade program for the Lefty. I always call C'Dale direct and speak to inside source. I like my LBS but I always like to have a 2nd opinion. It's worked for me and maybe it'll work for you. Give C'Dale a call and let them know whats wrong. Be stright and forward with them. Remember C'Dale backs up their products and I don't think you'll have a issue with them. At least I haven't. I mean $100 for a rebuild is a nice price and it sounds fair. The tips here are great. Thanks everyone! Goodluck!

#10 ·
subzero said:
Hey I'm sending my Lefty back to Cannondale, hopefully for a rebuilt or an upgrade. I've had some issues as well with the Lefty. If you have a warranty it won't cost you anything except for shipping costs. From my understanding if it's shot and your willing to give it up you'll get a replacement, that may cost you but not quite sure how much. Remember C'Dale has an upgrade program for the Lefty. I always call C'Dale direct and speak to inside source. I like my LBS but I always like to have a 2nd opinion. It's worked for me and maybe it'll work for you. Give C'Dale a call and let them know whats wrong. Be stright and forward with them. Remember C'Dale backs up their products and I don't think you'll have a issue with them. At least I haven't. I mean $100 for a rebuild is a nice price and it sounds fair. The tips here are great. Thanks everyone! Goodluck!
I called C'Dale yesterday and asked them about whether I could send the Lefty into them directly and they said no, it needs to be through a shop for administrative reasons. There was no mention of a Lefty upgrade program or a replacement program...Granted, I asked only about a rebuild but it seems to follow that the person I spoke with would mention any such programs...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll call again today.

#11 ·
The advantage is that C'dale uses medium quality oil etc. They also manufacture the lefty in a avarage way, not specific for your build and race-styl. Eighty-AID does just all that, and I can promise you that the lefty will be a much better performer then that is was when is was new. It is gonna cost ya. aprox 250 USD, this is excl. the parts that must be replaced.

#12 ·
Fork trade in program.

EdZilla said:
I called C'Dale yesterday and asked them about whether I could send the Lefty into them directly and they said no, it needs to be through a shop for administrative reasons. There was no mention of a Lefty upgrade program or a replacement program...Granted, I asked only about a rebuild but it seems to follow that the person I spoke with would mention any such programs...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll call again today.
There is indeed a trade in/up program, even if Cannondale is not talking about it often. You can trade up[ to any of the 2005 forks for a price. I have all of the dealer info on the subject. The only thing I am not at liberty to discuss is pricing, but I can tell you what the models/terms are if you have questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.