ARCHQUEST

Lefty DLR Fork Removal Tips

I bought a used Cannondale Jekyll with a lefty and want to remove the fork for servicing but after lossening all the bolts on the dual crown so the strut can slide up and down the double clamps but I still can't get the steer tube to slide out of the head tube. Am I missing something here? Should the steer tube just slide out or I need to tap a little with a hamme which I don't feel comfortable with.

Any suggestion helps, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just tap it out with a rubber mallet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Just tap it out with a rubber mallet.
    im in the same boat..... i dont have a bike stand, so is there another safe way to secure the frame whilst hammering the headshok out?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CabezaShok
    im in the same boat..... i dont have a bike stand, so is there another safe way to secure the frame whilst hammering the headshok out?
    Have a friend hang on, tightly.... And don't forget to hang onto the fork as you're hammering. FWIW, it's generally more than a "tap" too. As long as your mallet is soft faced, beat it with a fair degree of agression
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    For a lefty that is stuck in the head tube, I have found that a soft wood block always does the trick. Place the block on the tube and hit the block, therefore not damaging the tube even if you dont have a soft mallet.

ARCHQUEST
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try with the wood block, I'm just afraid it might a small pin I have to remove or something which if I force it will caused damage.