mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Lefty DLR (2000) DIY Service?

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around the 'net for some DIY service information regarding the 2000 Lefty DLR. I've recently bought one and was hoping to give it an overhaul before mounting it on my bike. If anyone has any information about servicing this model (aside from what is on the Cannondale site) I'd appreciate hearing from you. An exploded parts diagram would be great too (so I can put it back together again).

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Knowitall
    I tried to find that very same info and ended up sending it to Eighty aid. Really looking forward to trying it sometime soon. You will need several special tools in order to open it, and that will cost you about the same as a rebuild at a professional workshop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I actually went into a Cannondale dealer yesterday and ordered the castle tool. The shop was quite friendly about it too! I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of their shop manual too. ;-)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gl1970
    ordered the castle tool.
    Just checking. You sure it;s the correct one for your fork? Those used an older style, and also had a second stage tool piece. Often referred to as the Kidney tool.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They let me try their version of the tool on the fork in the shop before we ordered one... It should work. I'll know for sure when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My "local" (100km away) Cannondale dealer heard back from the factory after I'd placed my order and they were told the tools were no longer available. I wound up buying the same one from BikeParts.com.

The tools are definitely the right ones as I've had the damper cartridge out of the fork already.

On a related note, does anyone know what weight of oil was used in the Lefty DLR? Also how full should the damper cartridge be?

Thanks again.

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    Cannondale uses 2.5wt when they are done at the factory tech room... We use up to 5wt most commonly we use 3wt. We have have excellent results and the rebound has better range of control. Good luck, Be careful with the seals at the top and the bottom... Particularly the top though, as sometimes a damaged piece of the castle can nick or damage a new seal.

Mr. Knowitall
    The oil weight I was told should be 7.5, and my LBS used that for the first service I made. That made my fork very slow. They changed it to 5, and it wasn't any better. So I gave up and sent it to eighty-aid, but they didn't tell me the oil weight or others, and I haven't tested it yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a 2000 DLR Lefty and have serviced it myself. from time to time. I found a service guide ages ago (forget the source) to get into the Lefty.
    Which is posted here:
    http://killerv800.blogspot.com/2010/...ing-notes.html

I also found a few sites illustrating the oil change on a Lefty DLR Ti (unfortunately in french)
    http://entretien.vtt.free.fr/lefty_dlr_ti.htm
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierrotc...illeslefty.htm

Also a break down of the parts here:
    http://www.headshok.it/italiano/s0/lefty_dlr.html

Hope it helps...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The oil that was used in the 2000 Lefty dampers was equivalent to a 5wt. Currently, the equivalent to a 2.5wt is used. Keep in mind that all oils are not created equal...their true weights can be differ from brand to brand.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gl1970
    On a related note, does anyone know what weight of oil was used in the Lefty DLR? Also how full should the damper cartridge be?
    Up to rider weight of around 200, 5wt should be fine. Over that? 7.5.

Fill completely, screw in end cap (don't forget to use the bullet tool....) till the seal is touching. Open bleed screw briefly. Finish tightening, open bleeder again, done. It should be a slightly messy job. Do it really neat like? You'll probably have bubbles inside.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the help, I've got some 5wt oil on the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The internals have been cleaned and lubed and the damper has been flushed/filled with fresh oil. Amazingly it all still works too! I've also made a couple of spacers to reduce the travel to 80mm to match the frame it's going on (the tire would hit the bottom of the steerer without the travel reduction).

Thanks everyone for the information. It was much appreciated!