mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Lefty Disc brake mount? - IS or Post Mount

Bit the bullet and purchased my first Lefty today (2007 Lefty Speed Carbon 110). Will it have a post mount or IS setup?

As for brakes - Avid Ultimate or XTR?

LA CHÈVRE
    They are IS...

For the brakes: Formula.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    They are IS...

For the brakes: Formula.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Formula. Maybe Formula Oro K24?

What's the diff between post mount and IS for caliper mounting?

I have a Shimano XTR Lefty Wheelset w/ centerlock 160mm on the way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    XTR brakes have some consistancy issues around keeping the pads centered on the rotor.

The M770 XT have better power, cheaper, but a tad heavier.

Avid hydro are saddled with the dredded "turkey gobble." Some people get it, some dont. No one seem to have found a sure way to fix it.

I have not ridden on them, but a buddy has Forumlas and swears by them. They also have great support. They even read the "brake" forum and try to help with formula questions.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Avid hydro are saddled with the dredded "turkey gobble." Some people get it, some dont.

Thats a good term for it. My sevens make that noise and a friend had dubbed it "chipmunk" noise. But I think "turkey gobble" is actually a better way to describe it. I don't mind it at all, actually.

narCOTIC
    Swap out the avid rotors for some other brand rotors of the same size, and the turkey noise should stop right away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    to swap the rotors in the front of a lefty- is it just removing the single bolt from the wheel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
    to swap the rotors in the front of a lefty- is it just removing the single bolt from the wheel?
    Depends what kind of hub you have. Could be 6-bolt or center lock. To get the wheel off yes you use the single bolt. It is self extracting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tojnom View Post

What's the diff between post mount and IS for caliper mounting?
    IS: bolts go sideways into a thread on the caliper (or more usually, an adapter)

Post Mount: Bolts go towards the front of the bike, usually screwing into a thread in a stub on the fork.

It's cool that the Lefty is IS because it allows you to remove the front wheel without affecting the side to side position-setting of the caliper. Much better. The IS mounts on the Lefty are slotted so you only have to undo the bolts a couple of turns to remove the caliper / wheel.

Also if you strip the thread in post mount (by overtightening) then you're stuffed (because it's cast into the fork lower, which is usually magnesium). If you do that in IS you just pay £10 for a new adapter.