mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lefty day to day maintenance

Hey people, ive just got back into mtb'ing after 2 years of insanity, and just purchased a C'dale F800. Love the bike so far, im small in stature so the weight (or lack of) is helpful. I primarily ride xc, and live in England, and yes, it rains a lot. Im reading more and more about problems with water getting into the fork.

If anyone could give me some (detailed) advice about after-going-through-water maintenance,and general maintainance for the lefty it would be very much appreciated.

Just how much of an issue is riding through rain, streams, (puddles??) etc?

Ride fast. Die young.

Cheers.

Are you talking to me?

Not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlerdee
    Hey people, ive just got back into mtb'ing after 2 years of insanity, and just purchased a C'dale F800. Love the bike so far, im small in stature so the weight (or lack of) is helpful. I primarily ride xc, and live in England, and yes, it rains a lot. Im reading more and more about problems with water getting into the fork.

If anyone could give me some (detailed) advice about after-going-through-water maintenance,and general maintainance for the lefty it would be very much appreciated.

Just how much of an issue is riding through rain, streams, (puddles??) etc?

Ride fast. Die young.

Cheers.
    Unless you are submerging the fork. Once a month, let the air out, cut off the zip ties, and lube the bearing races with slick honey. Cycle the fork a few times, and replace zip ties and air. Easy. If you are riding in nasty weather all year around, once a year or so have the bearings/races replaced at the dealer. Approx $80.00US labor included.
    gfy

Sweat is just fat crying.

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Unless you are submerging the fork. Once a month, let the air out, cut off the zip ties, and lube the bearing races with slick honey. Cycle the fork a few times, and replace zip ties and air. Easy. If you are riding in nasty weather all year around, once a year or so have the bearings/races replaced at the dealer. Approx $80.00US labor included.
    It's a nice, low-maintenance fork.

Aside to Damion- puhLEEZE change "... loose one's head" to LOSE. There are impressionable young people in here!

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Are you talking to me?

Thanks, Finchy...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    It's a nice, low-maintenance fork.

Aside to Damion- puhLEEZE change "... loose one's head" to LOSE. There are impressionable young people in here!

fp
    If this board had a spelling checker, I would use it.
    gfy

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    If this board had a spelling checker, I would use it.
    Heh- it's just that I read most of your (helpful) posts, and it bugged me. Hope I didn't irritate.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Are you talking to me?

Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Heh- it's just that I read most of your (helpful) posts, and it bugged me. Hope I didn't irritate.

fp
    I just wish someone had told me prior to this.
    gfy