Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lefty day to day maintenance

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  damion 
#1 ·
Hey people, ive just got back into mtb'ing after 2 years of insanity, and just purchased a C'dale F800. Love the bike so far, im small in stature so the weight (or lack of) is helpful. I primarily ride xc, and live in England, and yes, it rains a lot. Im reading more and more about problems with water getting into the fork.

If anyone could give me some (detailed) advice about after-going-through-water maintenance,and general maintainance for the lefty it would be very much appreciated.

Just how much of an issue is riding through rain, streams, (puddles??) etc?

Ride fast. Die young.

Cheers.

#2 ·
Not an issue.

dazzlerdee said:
Hey people, ive just got back into mtb'ing after 2 years of insanity, and just purchased a C'dale F800. Love the bike so far, im small in stature so the weight (or lack of) is helpful. I primarily ride xc, and live in England, and yes, it rains a lot. Im reading more and more about problems with water getting into the fork.

If anyone could give me some (detailed) advice about after-going-through-water maintenance,and general maintainance for the lefty it would be very much appreciated.

Just how much of an issue is riding through rain, streams, (puddles??) etc?

Ride fast. Die young.

Cheers.
Unless you are submerging the fork. Once a month, let the air out, cut off the zip ties, and lube the bearing races with slick honey. Cycle the fork a few times, and replace zip ties and air. Easy. If you are riding in nasty weather all year around, once a year or so have the bearings/races replaced at the dealer. Approx $80.00US labor included.

#3 ·
What he said.

damion said:
Unless you are submerging the fork. Once a month, let the air out, cut off the zip ties, and lube the bearing races with slick honey. Cycle the fork a few times, and replace zip ties and air. Easy. If you are riding in nasty weather all year around, once a year or so have the bearings/races replaced at the dealer. Approx $80.00US labor included.
It's a nice, low-maintenance fork.

Aside to Damion- puhLEEZE change "... loose one's head" to LOSE. There are impressionable young people in here! :p

fp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.