mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Upset Lefty "crock-crock" noise

A strange, loud noise is coming from the lefty of my 2009 Rize 1 bike. It sounds like "crock, crock", similar to a house door in need of greasing. It is very disturbing and I am rather worried.

The noise clearly comes from the lower front of the bike, but it is not synchronous to shock movements, and is independent of whether the shock is locked or unlocked. It is minimal when pedaling uphill (low strain on front wheel), and higher downhill (all weight on front).

I haven't yet done much in terms of diagnostics. All I did was to let out all air from the shock and re-pump it - to no avail. My biggest worry is that it may be the front axle. If the axle breaks while I am going fast, I will be dead! But I have the feeling that the noise is coming from the shock - or maybe from the stem steerer...

Does any of you professionals have any advice for me? I am becoming slightly desperate!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    could be a problem with a crunched bearing in the headset?????

mtbr member

The Everannoying Ceramic Washer Crock

Don't know much of the Rize, but my Lefty tire hub has a ceramic washer that sits aganst the fork's frame. You might have to remove the brake rotor, remove n clean the ceramic washer/area thoroughly, place a teflon based oil droplet on it, and wipe off excess(so it doesn't bcome a dirt magnet...leading to more crock,crock noises).

HOPE this HELPS
    There are other possible sources...search is UR friend
    ENJOY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks guys. I will check your suggestions right away.

I should mention an additional problem. The shock locks very easily, and often spontaneously - even if I do not touch the small blue button in the center of the red rebound gauge. When pressing the rebound gauge, it often bounces back and the shock stay locked. I am not sure whether this issue and the crock-crock are related...

mtbr member
    Have you kept the lefty up to Cannondale's maintenance recommendations? How about bearing resets.

Another thing that you have to keep in mind is that carbon resonates sound very well, there is always the chance that the sound is happening elsewhere but you are hearing it in the front.

Also check:

Hub
    headset
    All bolts on the lefty and steerer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You sure that's from your lefty? I had a similar noise before and after some helps from a friend to diagnose the sound, it's coming from the brake cable stops. If that's the case, it's a simple fix with some lube...

Also check the front lefty wheel hub as well. It could be coming from there.

mtbr member
    I had to send my Lefty RLC from my 2009 Rize back twice for Cannondale to rebuild it after only 2 months of use. The races had been installed incorrectly and the lefty would lock down intermitantly. It sounds like you have the same problem. Get it done soon and do not touch the internals of the Lefty as they will blame you for the problem.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    can be the o-ring in the front hub screw ?