mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lefty conversion to conventional fork

It's really sad lefty is such a good fork but just no professional attention available here where I live. I have been cycling with a migrated fork for the past year on my f800. So I've decided toconvert the lefty to a fox fork. Anyone here done that? What are the different types of adapters available and how reliable is it? A buddy told me this morning that there will be slack in the adapters if converted to a conventional fork. I can't live with a fork with play in the headset.

Can someone please enlighten?

Anyone here done that and how's the ride like?

Someone pls tell me what to do. The bike is just sittin there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well depending on which Lefty you have the bearing reset takes about 5 minutes. If you convert to a standard fork and use the proper adaptors there will be no play.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yes, unless it's an older DLR, you can DIY really easily. And as for play in the headset, um, just replace the bearings? Best $25 you'll spend, and with a soft faced mallet, a chunk of PVC pipe, and ten minutes, you can DIY that too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My friend got rid of his Lefty and put a Fox on his Prophet. He used a FSA Orbit Extreme Pro.

Lot of the newer FR and Slopestype frames are using 1.5 headtubes with conventional forks so slack is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a prophet that I swapped the lefty for a Fox with a Cane Creek adapter, It was just my personal preference, I didn't like the way the Lefty steered, but anyway, there's not a bit of play or any kind of rigged feeling after the swap, it worked out like a champ!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I switched from Lefty to Fox Vanilla 36 RC2... Used the Cane Creek set of bearings for the 1 1/8 inch fork. The fork is awsome - completely different than the Lefty... It sucks the big one though because you have to replace so much at one time to get away from the singular downtube design of the Lefty... New wheel, headset, good fork, etc.

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    shag555, I am sure you dumped it on ebay and was paid with gold

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually I still have it... Gen 1 DLR - blown or something... Wouldn't come out of "lock out" - I had enough after three go-arounds... I wasn't about to do it again. I don't know what's wrong with it, and I wouldn't feel right about selling it in-case there was something wrong (majorly wrong) internally... I'm actually looking for a trade for a Jeckell rear triangle to replace the bonded one I have. The gold thing sounds pretty nice though!