was fast
    Jan 2011

Lefty centerlock hub?

Anyone know of a source for a 32H Lefty center lock hub?

Planning a 29er build using M980 XTR Race and Lefty PBR and discovered there are no Lefty center lock hubs other than the 24H XTR that is part of the WH-M975 26" wheelset. I'd source that hub but it requires a particular lacing pattern and rim reinforced for the very high tension used. No 29" rim fits the bill so I'm left using either a DT 240S, Project 321 or Cannondale hub which are all 6 bolt. Researching 6 bolt rotor/hub to XTR brake and it seems they won't quite line up without some machine work. ugh.

As it's an XTR bike, I really want to stay with the XTR levers that integrate so nicely with the shifters.

LA CHÈVRE
    Normal Centerlock rotors have a too small spline diameter to fit around the bigger Lefty disc side bearing so even the XTR for Lefty wheelset has an old, bigger Saint style centerlock interface which forces the use of those rotors, not even the XTR rotors will fit. So there are no Lefty hubs with a Centerlock. But I don't know where you get the idea a 6 bolt hub wont work with XTR brakes... Plus, 6 bolt rotors are lighter...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

was fast
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Normal Centerlock rotors have a too small spline diameter to fit around the bigger Lefty disc side bearing so even the XTR for Lefty wheelset has an old, bigger Saint style centerlock interface which forces the use of those rotors, not even the XTR rotors will fit. So there are no Lefty hubs with a Centerlock. But I don't know where you get the idea a 6 bolt hub wont work with XTR brakes... Plus, 6 bolt rotors are lighter...
    Yah, just discovered the two centerlock standards. Saint and everything else. I'm not sure current all steel 6 bolt rotors are lighter than the new steel clad aluminum ICE XTR rotors.

Call Shimano for dimensions but they didn't have it. Called LBS and voila, 35.89 mm ID for centerlock. Lefty bearing OD is 36.9mm so the hub I want is impossible unless it's some wacky two-piece affair.

So 6 bolt it is, for the front at least.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    here Shimano Saint 20 mm thru axle rotor

the only one available for XTR Lefty front wheel

and the lockring.

NOTE : the lockring is part of the XTR Lefty hub

it has a reversed thread , so a stock Saint large CL lockring ( arriving with the rotor if buyed as spare part ) won't work

it requires a special Shimano tool too. same tool fo a normal CL lockring or sprockets won't work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty centerlock hub?-dscn0742.jpg  

Lefty centerlock hub?-dscn0743.jpg