mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Lefty Carbon Max 140 Rebound Problems

All,

Looking for some help. I just picked up a 2005 Prophet 2000 (barely used for $900, yes that's me smiling) but the rebound on the fork seems to barely be working (if you crank it all the way over then you get a little rebound damping but it's nothing like my Fox TALAS fork when you dial up the rebound and it just about stops the fork from returning). I initially thought it might just be the oil weight so I swaped out for 5 weight (I was told by the shop that 2.5 was stock) but as far as I can tell it made no appreciable difference.

So, the questions:
    -is this just the way Lefty's are?
    -is five weight really the stock (so swapping the oil really didn't change anything)?
    -do I have a blown rebound circuit and need to send it in for repair.

Thanks for any help

LA CHÈVRE
    It should make a feelable difference from full open to full closed... but the difference is not extreme. One question (perhaps a stupid one): did you try the rebound knob while riding or by just pushing down on the fork? Because it doesn't seem to do much when you just push down on it in your garage, it should really be adjusted while riding...

I'm not sure about the stock oil's weight, I'll let someone else chime in about that.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hmmm...

Dan, thanks for the response. Sounds like it's just normal per your description (it's a small change over the entire range) Per your question, I have tried setting the rebound both statically (while standing in the garage) as well as on the trail with little discernable difference (at least to my uncalibrated feeling).

I currently have it set all the way up and it is definitely less springy than all the way out but I'd like about 25-50% more damping if possible (that's why I tried the higher viscosity oil)

Take care and thanks for the response (and the education on TPC in the other thread)

Dr Gadget is IN

Something that bit me

If you get no response from the rebound on your 140, you should take off the top cap - then make sure the rebound knob is screwed into its socket all the way.

If the knob isn't engaged in its threads before the top cap is screwed on, it can "freewheel" without engaging - giving no response. Took me a bit to figure this out. The rebound works by moving the rod up/down, so no thread - no actual movement to rebound.

One sign to look for is endless rotation.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    A usual problem is the rebound pushrod oxidating.The pushrod is then stuck, if you turn th reb knob nothing happens. To remove stain, screw he reb button out, pull out the pushrod. If it is black , clean it. If you see much black stain is better to disassemble the Lefty and clean the reb internals. Easy job if you follow the instructions in the forum. I use 10wt oil and red spring.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web