mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Lefty: Bolts on the lower clamp

I'm wondering what the two bolts inside the lower clamp are doing. I was thinking of replacing them with titanium bolts while I'm doing a ti bolt upgrade on the rest of the bike, but I don't want to do anything stupid. Is it safe to remove the bolts, maybe one at the time (obviously without riding the bike), and does anyone know what dimensions they are?

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty: Bolts on the lower clamp-lefty-bolts_2.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I believe they are rivets, not bolts. Removing them would most likely not be wise, nor would you save any weight with them being titanium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    I believe they are rivets, not bolts. Removing them would most likely not be wise, nor would you save any weight with them being titanium.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well in that case I won't be touching them! Thanks.

Tool
    The posters above are correct. Cannondale's documentation is very specific that these connectors are not to be removed under any circumstances (they're bonded into the tube, I believe).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104

They can be tightened or loosened without a problem, using a hex key. The bolts are very soft and you can strip the head of the bolts with your hex key very easily.
    The clamps are glued onto the Lefty and can not be replaced. The bolts are to align / position the clamps on the Lefty during gluing. If you remove them, water can enter the Lefty.