mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Lefty bearing reset issue

Hi everyone,
    I have followed the steps from Cannondale tech note or from this forum to reset the Lefty bearing. My Lefty is 2008 DLR2 carbon SL.....After compressed and pulled the Lefty 10 times, I reached 685mm measurement ( from the bottom of the Lefty to the top of the fork with the cap took off) . However, when I put everything back into place, the Lefty travel reduced, measured from the bottom to the top line of the upper crown just 648mm only. Why is that? Seems the damper will not let the Lefty extend that much, did I do anything wrong? Please help.....or this measurement is correct? Thanks!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It will suck back in when you put it back together. The measurement you got when fully extended, was fine, Your fork is fine too
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    It will suck back in when you put it back together. The measurement you got when fully extended, was fine, Your fork is fine too
    Thanks a lot!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    But after a few hours ride, the measurement recduced to 642mm only!! Seems the Lefty travel sucks back a bit ! Is that normal? Thanks!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Best advice I can give you is don't sweat a few mm's. If you do a reset, and you're 5 mm shy? Just ride, it isn't a huge deal, and you'll be doing it again, any way. Also, the negative spring onthose sucks in the fork, a lot. You may have one that is too stiff for your weight. Won't make the bike stop working, but it will reduce travel a bit.

A few hours is a bit soon if you lost a bunch of travel. Your bearing preload may be on the light side. When you get it serviced next, have that checked, and bumped up a hair, as it will slow the process down a bit....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Best advice I can give you is don't sweat a few mm's. If you do a reset, and you're 5 mm shy? Just ride, it isn't a huge deal, and you'll be doing it again, any way. Also, the negative spring onthose sucks in the fork, a lot. You may have one that is too stiff for your weight. Won't make the bike stop working, but it will reduce travel a bit.

A few hours is a bit soon if you lost a bunch of travel. Your bearing preload may be on the light side. When you get it serviced next, have that checked, and bumped up a hair, as it will slow the process down a bit....
    Thanks for the advice!!!