ADIDAB

Lefty Axle and Hub Bolt Problem - Any Ideas?

I'm a Lefty noob and did something a little silly in my haste to get on the road the other day, I (blue) loctited the hub bolt on my Lefty fork. When I went for a ride, the front end was making a high pitched squealing type noise. Originally I thought it was the brakes but after aligning them perfectly it was still occurring.

It was then I realised the error I made so I removed the hub bolt but bought out the helicoil with it . I replaced it with a new helicoil and made sure I greased up the area including inside the axle etc. and replaced the hub bolt (the bolt was a bit stiff to get on but I did it). I thought this was problem solved...

I went for another ride last night, and things were fine for the first 0.5 - 1km, then the high pitched squeal started up again. I suspect that if I remove the hub bolt again I'm going to bring the helicoil out as well.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm really kicking myself for doing something so stoopid but if there's any way to get around this I'd love to hear it!
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I had the same squeaking/squealing problem you're describing and all I did was turn the Lefty CAP, not bolt, a few turns to the right(off) so that it didn't make contact with the bolt. If the cap is on too tight, and rubbing on the bolt, it squeaks. At least it did on mine and my fix worked for me

FYI, I've heard putting Loctite on the bolt isn't necessary since the bolt will technically tighten if it's loose due to the rotation of the wheel. I DID put one drop of Loctite on the cap when I reinstalled it but I use a Project321 cap that uses a massive allen wrench, not that crappy 4 pronged thing that Cannondale uses.

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I had the same squeaking/squealing problem you're describing and all I did was turn the Lefty CAP, not bolt, a few turns to the right(off) so that it didn't make contact with the bolt. If the cap is on too tight, and rubbing on the bolt, it squeaks. At least it did on mine and my fix worked for me

FYI, I've heard putting Loctite on the bolt isn't necessary since the bolt will technically tighten if it's loose due to the rotation of the wheel. I DID put one drop of Loctite on the cap when I reinstalled it but I use a Project321 cap that uses a massive allen wrench, not that crappy 4 pronged thing that Cannondale uses.
    Hey DFYFZX - had never thought of the cap causing the problem. I have the P321 cap as well. Will check it out...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I bet you just installed it a bit too tight

ADIDAB
    I sincerely hope it's something as simple as this!

ADIDAB
    Well blow me down - you were right DFYFZX! I loosened the cap bolt up a little, went for ride and voila! No noise! Just the clatter of the freehub... Thanks!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Loosening the cap is akin to putting vaseline in the funnel before pouring oil through it to prevent the funnel from getting oily, you're just moving the problem around

The cap is supposed to be tight, unless you like trying to remove your wheel with a hammer, or buying new caps at $15 a pop with regularity. The noise is from the O ring on the bolt head. Lube it, or remove it, it wasn't ever there till a few years ago, and no one had issues with contamination back then.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Loosening the cap is akin to putting vaseline in the funnel before pouring oil through it to prevent the funnel from getting oily, you're just moving the problem around

The cap is supposed to be tight, unless you like trying to remove your wheel with a hammer, or buying new caps at $15 a pop with regularity. The noise is from the O ring on the bolt head. Lube it, or remove it, it wasn't ever there till a few years ago, and no one had issues with contamination back then.

Agreed,
    I just put my bike on it's side (bolt up), put a drop of Tri Flow around the bolt (not in where you put your wrench) and spun it 3 times.....................................problem solved.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I removed the o ring to elp free tings up and stop noises. the bearings are as well sealed as most other hubs or my BB without it and they are hardly costly to replace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When using a new wheel with a Lefty, it can sometimes squeak a little in the first couple hundred miles as the parts mate together. Happened to 3 wheels of mine. No big deal, just needs to be broken in a little.

LA CHÈVRE
    I confirm the o-ring being the source, 3 solutions:

- take the o-ring off
    - lube it
    - let it break in, wear a bit

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    All godd advice guys!

If your using our bolt/cap combo loosening the cap is not recomended. If the cap hits the bolt when tight there is a problem. I have never heard of this happening and we check our parts closely so I doubt that is the problem.

My guess is that it's the o-ring (like everybody is saying). I always remove mine, as well as the inner bearing dust guard. Both seem to cause a lot of drag.

As always feel free to call us with any questions regarding our parts.
    Jake - Project321
    877-584-7321

ADIDAB
    Hey guys - thanks for the info! I did pop a bit of grease on the inside of the end cap and backed off the cap by a quarter turn. I'll change tact tonight and lube up that O-ring and tighten that end cap back up...

I've learnt something new today... Thanks!

mtbr member

I have determined that I have a squeaky o-ring on my Lefty Si hub. Is there any way to lubricate the o-ring without removing the end cap with the special Cannondale 4-pin hub tool?

Thanks!
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So to get to the o'ring do you have to remove the part with the 4 holes. Sorry for the vague question but I took delivery of the RZ140 a few weeks ago and had the same issue. I have never had a lefty before and I ended up putting it on the side and added a drop of oil which fixed it but I wasn't sure how long term this was.
    Cheers
    Brian

ADIDAB
    Hey Mendon Cyclesmith - perhaps this thread should be added to the FAQ section for future reference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Happened on my new SLRs a while ago.. Followed Mendon's advise and took out that little o-ring, probblem solved!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler
    Happened on my new SLRs a while ago.. Followed Mendon's advise and took out that little o-ring, probblem solved!
    I put a couple of drops of Tri-Flow around the bolt on the hub (as also suggested here)--problem solved!
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_N
    Hey Mendon Cyclesmith - perhaps this thread should be added to the FAQ section for future reference?
    Agreed, wish I was omnipotent, but my mod powers are tiny

CannondaleTony's your man, drop him a note!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I confirm the o-ring being the source, 3 solutions:

- take the o-ring off
    - lube it
    - let it break in, wear a bit
    ditto!

ADIDAB
    Agreed, wish I was omnipotent, but my mod powers are tiny

CannondaleTony's your man, drop him a note!
    Done... Message sent...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just had a similar problem on my cannondale bad boy disc....and thanks to this thread I dont have to go to my LBS tomorrow once again....I chose to lube rather than remove the o-ring and it worked like a charm....no more squeek squeek squeek squeek (I didn't have an aerosol lube, so I just used some red line lithium grease....packed it around the bolt with the wheel off, gave the bolt a few turns and wholla!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by valiant1974
    Is there any way to lubricate the o-ring without removing the end cap with the special Cannondale 4-pin hub tool?
    A Park pin spanner will do it. I can't remember the part number, but it's the green one.

Also had squeaking with a set of Crossmax SLRs (£300 off Merlin - bargain!) solved by greasing the axle spindle, and taking the end cap apart & greasing everything.

Andy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by valiant1974 View Post
    I put a couple of drops of Tri-Flow around the bolt on the hub (as also suggested here)--problem solved!
    I didn't have the tool to remove the cap so I gave this a shot and it works!