mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Lefty Air pressure help!

Figured I'd put it here since it's related to Cannondales:

I'm looking for guideline/baseline/rough numbers for air pressure for Lefty speed. I'm 185lbs if that helps

I tried searching, and the only link to a pdf on Cannondale's site wasn't working (nor did I find anything on golefty).

Any help would be really appreciated!!

mtbr member

Lefty Speed Recommended Air Pressure

Evisr8r-

Recommended Air Spring Pressure, rider weight 180 / 190lbs:

Lefty Speed Carbon w/Fox terralogic =60 / 70 psi

Lefty Speed DLR2 w/Rebound and Lockout =130 / 145 psi

Source-2006 Cannondale Rush Set-Up guide

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Start with 80% of body weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evisr8r
    Figured I'd put it here since it's related to Cannondales:

I'm looking for guideline/baseline/rough numbers for air pressure for Lefty speed. I'm 185lbs if that helps

I tried searching, and the only link to a pdf on Cannondale's site wasn't working (nor did I find anything on golefty).

Any help would be really appreciated!!
    Cannondale's website really sucks at times for stuff not being available. Anyway, I am pretty sure that the suplement for the Lefty Speed DLR relates air pressure to the colour of the negative spring that you have in the fork.

Here is the pdf:
    http://www.golefty.com/pdf/Troubleshooting_SpeedDLR.pdf

I have a Clyde-friendly black spring in mine, which is a mid air pressure of 175psi, quite a lot.

That is for a 2005 Lefty speed, there may be changes to newer models.

No saddle, no problem.
    Dec 2011
    thats a lot of pressure, wow, I am only running 35. but I just got mine last week. Thanks

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by billfer View Post
    thats a lot of pressure, wow, I am only running 35. but I just got mine last week. Thanks
    Your fork must bottom out constantly. As a starting point Cannondale recommends 65-75% of your body weight. These guidelines (from Cannondale) will help you to fine tune it from there:

Minimum and Maximum Sag
    Lefty Max = 28mm/42mm
    Lefty Ultra = 24mm/36mm
    LeftySpeed = 20mm/30mm
    Lefty 29'er = 18mm/27mm

Suggested Sag Range
    XC = 20-25% of Total Travel
    Trail = 20-30% of Total Travel

mtbr member
    I like a stiff setup. run ~170 psi and I weigh 200 lbs. dlr speed on a 2009 scalpel. Call me naive, but if it feels soft I add pressure, if it is like a rock I let some air out. rebound is a similar process.
    Sore Neck or Low Back Pain after riding? Our tools stop muscle tension before it turns chronic.
    MassageBlocks.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Numbers may vary depending which Lefty Speed you have (current PBR or XLR with 100mm? Old DLR or DLR2 with 110mm? Fox Terralogic? Fox RLC?).

I always start by setting it so sag is in the appropriate range (around 25% of the travel) then fine tune after I ride... that works pretty well for pretty much any fork and rear shock on any bike. The Fox Terralogic was a different animal since it doesn't really sag much since it auto-locks so that one I used the recommended pressure as a starting point.

Billfer, how much do you weigh and what Lefty do you have? The Fox Terralogic needed quite low pressures but for other Lefty Speed models, that seems dangerously low. You must bottom out way too often and need bearing resets almost daily!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I run 140 - 145 in my DLR (RZ120) I am 175lbs. and it seems to be just about perfect. 80% of body weight... Now if you are bombing downhills or going off any drops you may want to go a little bit higher...
    Recommended setting on mine was listed at 105-110 lbs of air for my weight, which is a total joke...

Genius
    Pressure is irrelevant. There is no one answer to this question as there are to many lefties and to many different setups (variables). This is why there are no charts readily available. For instance I am 210 and run 60psi on my Leftied Scott Genius. I don't bottom out and am fairly aggressive. That's because most of my weight for my setup is on the rear tire.

A proper sag of 25-30% of total compression is your goal (which is dictated by your body position while riding). Use a tape measure and string to get a good starting point and work from there.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12