mtbr member

Lefty Advice which one?!

Looking to build a 29"er hardtail. Likely IF. have choice of 1.5 or 1 1/8th headtube, and obviously fork length.

will be singlespeed, been riding rigid for 2 year+

*if* money were no object, which lefty fork and why? i have no experience with them whatsoever, so any thoughts would be very welcome, including service intervals (i live in scotland, where it is pretty wet and muddy...) weight, self-serviceability, different internals pros cons etc...

thanks for any input.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Depends, I would say Max TPC, but that's if you want more travel. It all comes down to that. As far as internals go, the TPC is preferable to the SPV (in my estimation). The DLR2's are all the same internals, so choice is not a choice As far as self service, you'b better be a decent mechanic if you plan on doing much beyond oil changes and bearing resets. Not sating it's not possible, just not simple, no tools etc. The Max is what I use on my HT 29er, limited to 110. If you do a DLR2 you'll have 80 mm once limited. The lock out on the DLR2 is the only other consideration. Happy choosing!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    thanks...hmmm. not sure re the travel thing due to bar height...was thinking 80mm would seem a lot to me after riding rigid so long.

any thoughts on the 321 kits/using the IF availability of 1.5" head tube? im not a weight freak but i like kit that works well and lasts well...

LA CHÈVRE
    If your frame is OnePointFive, you don't need the 321 kit, SI headset should fit right in. You just need a correct headtube length to make sure the frame and headset fits between the Lefty clamps.

Money no object? Get a Speed SL limited to 80mm. It's very light, stiff, has a lockout. If you were riding a rigid bike before, 80mm and the 29er wheels will make it more than smooth enough for you.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    the si headset is a cannondale item i think, is it durable? my concerns are as you would expect limiting myself to less choice of headsets stems etc...so the 321 kit begins to look good, but seems a little less 'clean' than the 1.5" head tube option. this is all moot if the cannondale stuff is good quality...

thomson and woodman do stems as well as cannondale? but the integrated stem steerer looks pretty good. is that secured at the lower fork crown?

LA CHÈVRE
    But a bigger headset and steerer diameter improves stiffness... but a Lefty with the tiny 1.125" steerer still will be stiffer than competing forks though. And the Cannondale SI headsets are very good, very durable and trouble free. I changed the bearings in one of mine for the first time after 9 years and that's a bike that has been left outside for more than a year, under rain and snow and the old headsets didn't have the protective cap on top of the headset like they have now...

True enough, using the Lefty steerer and SI headset does limit stem choice to Cannondale, Hope, Kore, Woodman, FRM, Syntace and maybe others I don't remember...

mtbr member
    do you know how the si system stem/steerer works? i read a review here (http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2184) about it and couldnt find anything to make me think otherwise, that it requires shop work to change stem/take out...?

the reason i ask is that the bike will travel and packing a frame and lefty without dismantling may be more trouble than if i was able to take fork off...

the more i look into this the more i feel it would be the way to go. many thanks for advice....

also: do either of you guys have an opinion on whether the max tpc 140mm fork can be reduced to say 90mm travel for a 29" wheel and still retain the benefits of the tpc ? i would be concerned about the lack of external compression adjustment on the dlr unless it was an easy internal change...

and lastly i seem to recall a-c of 480 for 110 and 520 for 140mm forks>? but cannot find the offset?

many thanks!
    Last edited by dRjOn; 06-07-2007 at 10:00 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Simple: to take off the integrated stem/steerer, loosen the clamps bolts that tighten around the steerer, loosen the cap's bolt under the steerer and take that cap off. Then, slide the stem/steerer up and you now have the fork unsinstalled. Not so complicated.

You can probably reduce the travel by any amount you want, it's done by inserting spacers around the shaft inside the leg, install longer/more spacers and limit travel more. I'm not sure what size spacers are available though but I think they are plastic so you could probably cut one to have the exact travel amount you want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that, I have never modified a Lefty to limit travel myself... Mendon?

As for A-C measures, I think it's 10mm less than what you have since the measures you have include the height of the lower headset cup that's about 10mm. By offset, do you mean the rake? It's the same on both the Max and Speed Lefties: 1.8"/4.57cm...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-07-2007 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    you are a star...much thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    you are a star...much thanks!
    Really? I haven't seen my face in any tabloids yet!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'm running both the alloy, and carbon adapters from P321, and think they are the bee's knees. Super well made, clean, and not at all clunky or ugly. A fine addition to any bike. As for limiting a Max to 90 sure, it can be done, you'd still have all your functionality too, though you would notice it not having the proper progressivity, due to the fork being stopped very early in it's travel....As for frame stiffness, the 1.5 is not going to add much to a frame who's remaining tubes are of such a smaller diameter, with a Cannondale frame the top and down tubes are proportiantely larger, so they support eachother, with a steel or ti frame the tubes are smaller, so the large HT has less impact on stiffness. Rock on.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com