mtbr member

Lefty with an 8 inch Avid Code brake

I need some serious anchors for a lift trip. was thinking about an 8 inch disk and some codes.. Any issues with fitting them to a lefty?

I know the max should fit an 8 incher but i wonder if the codes will be too much for them.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    I need some serious anchors for a lift trip. was thinking about an 8 inch disk and some codes.. Any issues with fitting them to a lefty?

I know the max should fit an 8 incher but i wonder if the codes will be too much for them.

No personal on bike experience with the Codes, but I can't see any issues. I and friends of mine, run 203's with no problems FWIW. I say run 'em, and if you don't hurt yourself, let us know it's okay
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My friend has Codes on his VP Free. I have Magura Gustavs on my Judge. Both have serious bullet stopping power and feel about the same as far as stopping power. I use my index finger only to brake.

I just came back from Whistler where I had to swap out the stock pads for EBC greens (XC pads) because it didn't take much pressure on the levers to bring the heavy Judge to stand still in a hurry. Even with the weaker pads the Gustav is an unbelieveable stopper.

That being said I don't think it's a good idea to run a brake that can over power a light bike. The problem with lift access trails is the overheating of the disc brakes. Running larger rotors 203mm will help with the heat problem. The other thing you can do is to run DH pads which also helps with the heat problem. If your brakes runs DOT fluids than it would be a good idea run fresh fluids before the trip.

mtbr member
    IM getting them today so i will let you know how I get on

Lets hope its not faceplant central.