mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Lefty on 2009 F9?

So i'm pretty new to this MTB world but I just purchased a 2009 F9 and love it but I love the look of the lefty more! I know I will probably be told to search but I haven't seen anybody doing this.. I know I have to change out my hubs and convert to disks but would this be worth it or should I go with something like Rock shox? I use this bike for mostly trail riding but would like to be able to push the bike farther without having to worry about my RST Capa, 80 mm fork blowing out on me... i'm riding the small frame, would the 100mm Lefty be too tall?

Thanks for the input in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hate to be the one to say it but you bought a F9 and want to spend 2x what the bike is worth on the fork, bad idea just by a better bike to begin with.

atleast get an F5 or 4 the 9 looks like a grandpa bike.
    08 Cdale Scalpel 4
    09 Cdale F5 traded ^

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i know it's a cheap bike but i'm coming into this from being into hondas like my 97 hatchback that yes is a cheap car looks stock on the outside but is a turbo h22 that put down 301whp and 261 ft lbs. of torque that beats up on v8's all day that i built myself! So needless to say i'm the guy that like to take nothing and make it something plus i love the bike it's royal blue and white can't find any other bikes this color except specialized hard rock that is navy blue

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So no one can help me out and tell me how i can make this work? I realize i need a lefty hub and the disk brakes that i already have .. i just need to know if i need to have an adapter or if the steering tube will fit ... i'm just looking for a little guidance

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope The 26in wheels are the reason to buy another bike

You should sell that Honda before you lose you Drivers License and buy a Flash 29er with the Lefty already on it.

Your frame is not designed for a lefty, to Geo is all wrong and you have that Skinny head tube. The Lefty Equipped bikes have 1.5in head tubes. This format enhances steering precision with the design of the Lefty fork mounted to a fat front section of the frame.

The biggest reason you should just buy another bike is because you are stuck on those little 26in wheels. The 29in wheels are the best thing that ever came out of MTBing
    Steel Freak

p.s. yes a lefty can be installed on that frame but that would not make it a bike that beats up on V8's all day
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 03-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    haha it is for sale i want/need a normal car again

yea i see what you're saying but i'm 5'8" would i even be tall enough for a 29er?

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope The 26in wheels are the reason to buy another bike

You should sell that Honda before you lose you Drivers License and buy a Flash 29er with the Lefty already on it.

Your frame is not designed for a lefty, to Geo is all wrong and you have that Skinny head tube. The Lefty Equipped bikes have 1.5in head tubes. This format enhances steering precision with the design of the Lefty fork mounted to a fat front section of the frame.

The biggest reason you should just buy another bike is because you are stuck on those little 26in wheels. The 29in wheels are the best thing that ever came out of MTBing
    Steel Freak
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 03-28-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope A med size 29 would be fine

Yes, most med frames will fit you fine in 29in. A 8ft7in guy on a 29er won the Castaic Lake Hill Climb contest on a 29er.

I bought this 2009 closeout for $1410 out the door from my LBS. I owe $300 more and it's mine.

Id rather be on an $800 29er (my Specialized cost me 850) than a $7000 26er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty on 2009 F9?-caffine-2.jpg  

Lefty on 2009 F9?-rockhopper-.jpg  

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I'm 5'8" and I ride a M 29er and a M Scalpel.

For a lefty, you're going to need an adapter to make it work on the 1 1/8" headtube and you'll also have to find a lefty hub and rebuild your front wheel for a lefty. Basically, you'll looking at a min of $500 to make the upgrade finding used parts and nice folks to do the labor.

I'd personally recommend saving up a couple bucks and buy a used hardtail that already has a lefty on it.

Something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Cannondale-...#ht_506wt_1058

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    I'm 5'8" and I ride a M 29er and a M Scalpel.

For a lefty, you're going to need an adapter to make it work on the 1 1/8" headtube and you'll also have to find a lefty hub and rebuild your front wheel for a lefty. Basically, you'll looking at a min of $500 to make the upgrade finding used parts and nice folks to do the labor.

I'd personally recommend saving up a couple bucks and buy a used hardtail that already has a lefty on it.

Something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Cannondale-...#ht_506wt_1058
    I totally agree, with that Ebay listing or the close out I bought, he would get Hydraulic Disc Brakes, 29" wheels, and the non Adapted Lefty. These are HUGE upgrades that are worth every Penny.

Going the route of say a Rock Shox SID and a front disc will still cost you $500 but if you were to do something with your Existing bike I would probably go that route. Still My Vote is a 29er Med with a lefty on it.

Also I hope these are informative expanations for why to take a clean sheet approch, Nothing wrong with taking a budget bike and making it kick but but it's just hard to do this with V-Brakes and 26in Wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I completely understand ... I don't plan to have the v-brakes long or much of anything that came on the bike except for pretty much the paint and frame i was just seeing how much work it would take b/c i'm pretty sure there aren't too many lefty f9's out there ... i like to be like that and then one day when i have everything i want and i'm tired of the frame i'll end up just buying the frame i want and have my idea of the perfect bike completely customized my way

but how good is the lefty for handling jumps and drops?

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

Leftys are Strong forks. Beware of 2007 and 2008 models the had a Recall because they were seperating the top from the Bottom. The Lefty thing is a Leap of Faith for me. I don't have enough real world trail time on one to give and Honest Answer on this.

The reason I desided to try one was because a got a good deal on Last years Bike and My Best Friend rasced Mt Sac in California last Nov and was really Impressed witha 6mi Lap on a Lefty Equipt Caffine on the same cource he raced his bike on earlier that day. Cannondale had Demo's at that race.

I tell it Like it is. If you gotta take the front wheel off to transport this bike all the time Dont get a Lefty. I ride to My Trail Head and have a Ford F250 Power Stroke Diesel with a 8ft bed so I don't need to take that front wheel off all the time.

The Single Speed Get's ridden to work Every Day then I hit the local trails on it on the Weekend. It's My Fave Bike of all time. The Rock Shox Tora (mid level 29er fork) is much better than Expected.

Here's that recall
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07211.html

From what I hear the Leftys are a lot like through axle forks in stiffness and are super strong. AZ trail conditions are rough and rocky for forks from 80 to 140mm Leftys are about as good as it gets, Over 140mm you need something else but then your on a bike that you probably ride a Ski Lift to the top. Not for me
    SF