mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lefty 2.0 stem is stuck

Need some help. I need to remove the stem on my Lefty 2.0 to grease it up (creaking of course), but it's stuck. I've done this a few times in the past with no issues. I've loosed the stem bolts all the way and have my Shimano FC33 tool trying to loosen from below, but it will only rotate about 1 full turn and then get stuck. I tried to tighten/loosen back and forth a few times, no luck. I've applied quite a bit of torque trying to loosen it past that one full turn, but nothing. Has me wondering if it's a left-handed thread .. or am I losing my mind?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    OPI stem? Do you have the wedge fitted? Remove it, or at least, loosen the central bolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's a 2014 F29 PBR, 2.0 Lefty OPI I guess. It was part of the recall for the wedge ... which I did NOT do since I thought it was kind of goofy engineering. I'm pretty light and don't put much stress on the bike anyway.

So I don't have the wedge in there. Any ideas. It is normal right-hand thread correct? Since I can only turn the thing about 1 rotation either way, I'm beginning to wonder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Did you mean that you loosened the Lefty clamp bolts? If so, they do need to be loosened.

They are regular right hand thread.

You just need more torque if it's seized. Have someone torque the stem while you're torquing the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok, that's what I'm thinking. It's seized. It's hard to position the thing in a bike stand and apply enough pressure with the Shimano tool .. plus the stem itself is moving around. Two person job. I'll try it. Thanks.