mtbr member
    May 2017

Lefty 2.0 (with 2Spring update) problem

I have bought cannondale f-si alloy 2017 last week (it was new, but I bought it not in the shop) and today (my second ride), after riding I admited that when I ride with lockout ON, after 300 m of ride fork stay compressed even after I dismount (like 3-4 cm). After i push my steering wheel up (pushing wheel to the ground in the same time) it decompressed successfully and seems to work fine without lockout. Same thing i admited when I was going from the hill but even with lockout OFF.
    This is my first cannondale, I don't know if it is normal or not.. (hope it is not problem with fork, because I have no chance of refunding )
    Last edited by Cadale; 05-27-2017 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadale View Post
    I don't know if it is normal or not.. (hope it is problem with fork, because I have no chance of refunding )
    Doesn't sound normal. The lock-out seals the compression circuit, but not the rebound, so the fork should rebound as normal even when locked out.

So it sounds like the positive and negative chambers are inbalanced. 2spring is kinda supposed to sort this out so it's a bummer to hear about this.

I'd try...

- bike upside down, attach a shock pump, slowly bleed out all the air.
    - right way up, pull wheel down if required to compress neg air chamber
    - upside down again, bleed out more air
    - do a bearing reset (i.e., with no air in the fork, repeatedly compress the fork hard)
    - upside down again, fork fully extended, air up fork to the recommended pressure for your weight

See if that sorts it.

If not, do you have a local dealer to fall back on? They can be persuaded to help you with beer tokens or look up Craig on here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How much do you weigh? How much psi do you have in the fork?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Doesn't sound normal. The lock-out seals the compression circuit, but not the rebound, so the fork should rebound as normal even with lockout.

So it sounds like the positive and negative chambers are inbalanced. 2spring is kinda supposed to sort this out so it's a bummer to hear about this.

I'd try...

- bike upside down, attach a shock pump, slowly bleed out all the air.
    - right way up, pull wheel down if required to compress neg air chamber
    - upside down again, bleed out more air
    - do a bearing reset (i.e., with no air in the fork, repeatedly compress the fork hard)
    - upside down again, fork fully extended, air up fork to the recommended pressure

See if that sorts it.

If not, do you have a local dealer to fall back on? They can be persuaded to help you with beer tokens or look up Craig on here.
    I've done telescope reset yesterday and it kind of helped.. before the reset, after riding in forest and park (2-3 km) fork stayed compressed. After the reset it acts like a normal fork (still a little compressed after the ride but like 2-5 mm). But what i wrote in the topic is still the case.
    I bought my cannondale without documents and here in Ukraine we have no official dillers.. I contacted the guy which sold me this bike and he said that he don't know why is it like so, and assured me that everything is original and brand new...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    How much do you weigh? How much psi do you have in the fork?
    72-74 kg in this range. 109 psi

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadale View Post
    I've done telescope reset yesterday and it kind of helped.. before the reset, after riding in forest and park (2-3 km) fork stayed compressed. After the reset it acts like a normal fork (still a little compressed after the ride but like 2-5 mm). But what i wrote in the topic is still the case.
    I bought my cannondale without documents and here in Ukraine we have no official dillers.. I contacted the guy which sold me this bike and he said that he don't know why is it like so, and assured me that everything is original and brand new...
    Eh...well, monitor it...see what it does. Owning a 'dale MTB where's there's no dealer network is going to be tough. If you can post stuff out then that might be what you have to do.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Eh...well, monitor it...see what it does. Owning a 'dale MTB where's there's no dealer network is going to be tough. If you can post stuff out then that might be what you have to do.
    Thank you for trying to help me)
    Sry, my English is probably not so good, so i can't get what did you meant by saying "If you can post stuff out"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I meant if you can send (post) the Lefty to a repair centre in a country that has dealers.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I meant if you can send (post) the Lefty to a repair centre in a country that has dealers.
    Oh, ok. But probably if problem will continue to occur - i'll ask my friend for maintenance the fork (he is 800 km away from me but he's got all the tools to service lefty).

Just a flesh wound
    Sounds like air is leaking into the negative air chamber. The 2 spring thing is not working.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Sounds like air is leaking into the negative air chamber. The 2 spring thing is not working.
    Well, sad to hear that. What should I do? How can I fix it?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Replace it, bad 2Spring kit. You'll be told that's not possible, 2Spring is perfect. It's not.

I've seen several bad piston kits, and swapping for a new one, resolved the issue.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Replace it, bad 2Spring kit. You'll be told that's not possible, 2Spring is perfect. It's not.

I've seen several bad piston kits, and swapping for a new one, resolved the issue.
    I bought it not in the shop so i don't have such ability. should i apply to the guy who sold me that bike for money back?

bike tester
    look for new 2spring kit on Dr. Cannondale also german, uk ebay...

also you can send the fork to service in romania, poland... many good suspension experts in eastern europe, you just need to know where to ask.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not the sellers fault, so, no.

I'd ask if they can get you a new 2Spring kit though.

Or, just buy one yourself, as suggested above, assuming you can find someone selling them (since they are not yet sold by Cannondale), but make sure it's the actual 2Spring kit, as there's a host of kits being sold as 2Spring, that are not actually 2Spring, due to Cannondale not selling them yet.

I'd strongly advise against trying to do the swap yourself though.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thank you all for help. Recently, it seems that problem i had is now appears very rarely. I noticed the same problem just only 1 time after posting this thread. I decided not to disassemble the fork for now.
    Thanks once again!