mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Lefty 140 SPV compression adjuster - need help

I'm a new (and proud) owner of a used 05 Prophet with a Lefty 140 SPV. This is my first Cannondale and I'm not confident with forks so please be patient.

I am trying to set my SPV volume adjuster but am nervous about screwing things up. When I back off the volume adjuster (turn red 16mm hex CCW) I can feel the stop point clearly, but when I turn it in (CW) it keeps going. Ive gone as far as 3 or almost 3 full turns of the hex and still no stop point. Have I gone past it and screwed it up already? How many turns can this hex go? I'm also not sure I can feel the difference in settings on the shop floor. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by snortz6; 04-22-2007 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

LBS says 5 full turns

Since posting the above question I have spoken with an LBS junior mechanic. He said 5 full turns in for the volume adjuster is about max and is roughly the equivalent of SPV from hell.

I rode yesterday on rough trail conditions at 1.5 turns in from fully out and the SPV was great on the crawling climbs and up to mid-middle ring speeds. I did notice some harshness at higher speeds on rooty/rocky sections, so I backed of the setting a half turn which seemed to take away the harshness. Hope I'm not imagining things here. Still seemed fine on smooth climbs at the lesser SPV setting.

Recap: I weigh 170 lbs and have a blue spring. I had the SPV pressure at 50 psi, and the SPV volume adjuster at 1 full turn in from fully out. Perffect so far.

Any comments would be appreciated.