mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lefty 140 Max Popping Noise?

Just got the Lefty back from Cannondale on rebuild warranty. Seems Cannondale removed the coil and replaced it with a new one (hopefully). I haven't taken the bike on a trail yet but whenever I pull the handlebars to the far left, I hear a "pop." The same "pop" also happens when the bars are turned far right but only on ocsassion.

I didn't have this noise until the fork was returned and mounted by a pro mechanic. The bolts holding the fork to the wheels and stem seem to be stiff. Any thoughts?

Fixin' shocks Day & Night
    I would check all the Lefty Mounting bolts,. as well make sure the headset is fully seated. Other than those two things maybe headset bearings or cable noise.

mtbr member
    Do you have to be on the bike to make it pop? or will it do it in the stand? If it does it in the stand it may just be the brake and shifter lines got out of wack when they had your Lefty off and they are popping or moving as you move your bars. (I know it sounds stupid but noises usually are something silly)

I it only pops when your on the bike, it could be anything... Took me forever to find a tick sound on my bike, turned out to be a dirty cable squeaking in the frame stay nearest the BB (would have bet it was the bar LOL) I get a tick or pop sound from between the Lefty and its clamps after some really dry dusty rides, maybe pull the Lefty and give it and the clamps a good wipe down.

Quote Originally Posted by monteverest
    Just got the Lefty back from Cannondale on rebuild warranty. Seems Cannondale removed the coil and replaced it with a new one (hopefully). I haven't taken the bike on a trail yet but whenever I pull the handlebars to the far left, I hear a "pop." The same "pop" also happens when the bars are turned far right but only on ocsassion.

I didn't have this noise until the fork was returned and mounted by a pro mechanic. The bolts holding the fork to the wheels and stem seem to be stiff. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The noise happens when the handlebars are turned without me on it. I've tightened everything and checked the cables. The one area I haven't been able to isolate is the headset but looks like someone else has posted about this exact problem - now what to do....