Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    New question here. Lefty 140 max Play - help me rule out

    I want to get to the bottom of the play in my Lefty Max 140 (non SPV)
    After taking a look, I have some questions. Please help me rule out those scenarios that would not cause play.

    1. Bearing Migration: If the bearings migrated...would it cause front to back play in the fork?

    2. How do I know if the headset cups are seated correctly and are tight? What tools do I need to determine this? (I know how to work on a traditional hedset....but I never attempted the cups on a Lefty). The steering is really smooth.

    3. Blown cartridge: As I said in my earlier post...I have oil/grease leaking out of the hole on the upper portion of the leg (just below the upper boot). However...rebound works fine, you can easily see how it slows / speeds with a turn of the knob.
    Is there something in the leg that will cause play?

    4. New brake pads just installed yesterday...still feel play.

    5. leg telescope (?) someone mentioned that the leg under the boot is joing with some bearings. Is this an area that play will develop?

    Before I bring it in to the LBS, I want to make sure it isn't something that I can perform on my own.

    thanks.

  2. #2
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    1. To eliminate this one, just reset the bearings and see if it helps. Very migrated bearings can make a slight sound that feels like you have play.

    2. If it was the headset, you would probably feel it by lifting the bike, holding the frame so the front wheel doesn't touch the ground and by rocking the stem a bit.

    3. That oil leak is where? If it's coming out of the air filter, it could only be the filter that had too much oil so it comes out of there. If it comes out from lower, it might be a seal problem, but I don't see it creating play.

    4. Caliper is bolted tight? Rotor? Hub?

    5. That area is where the upper and lower parts of the Lefty get together. Between both are 4 strips of roller bearings. If there really is some play between the top and bottom part, this is probably where the issue is.

    Start by doing a bearing reset and see if it helps first. It's easily done yourself in less than 5 minutes so it's a good starting point.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    1. To eliminate this one, just reset the bearings and see if it helps. Very migrated bearings can make a slight sound that feels like you have play.

    2. If it was the headset, you would probably feel it by lifting the bike, holding the frame so the front wheel doesn't touch the ground and by rocking the stem a bit.

    3. That oil leak is where? If it's coming out of the air filter, it could only be the filter that had too much oil so it comes out of there. If it comes out from lower, it might be a seal problem, but I don't see it creating play.

    4. Caliper is bolted tight? Rotor? Hub?

    5. That area is where the upper and lower parts of the Lefty get together. Between both are 4 strips of roller bearings. If there really is some play between the top and bottom part, this is probably where the issue is.

    Start by doing a bearing reset and see if it helps first. It's easily done yourself in less than 5 minutes so it's a good starting point.
    *****
    1. I reset the bearings...or I think I did. Play is still there (I kind of expected this).

    2. Again, it FEELS like a loose headset (from the traditional 1 1/8 standpoint). How do I tighten the headset cups on the Lefty?

    3. Oil is coming from the little hole (top of fork). No leaks on bottom of fork.

    4. all brake parts are solid

    5. *** I have a feeling this could be the area. Is this something I can easily do myself?
    Or are we talking a factory service at C-dale?
    Is it dangerous to ride like this?

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    1. Eliminated

    2. Headsets are press fit cartridge bearings. You can't adjust them, they are smooth, when they are not smooth anymore, you just change them. Usually, they don't become loose as in a standard headset, they get rough when they are close to their death.

    3. You have a little hole at the top of the fork? The top cap or the outer tube, which is the top part I guess. How much oil are we talking about here?

    4. Eliminated

    5. If this is the culprit, a good shop is probably your best bet. That would mean the races or the bearings are in need of some replacement, adjustment...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    clarification

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    1. Eliminated

    2. Headsets are press fit cartridge bearings. You can't adjust them, they are smooth, when they are not smooth anymore, you just change them. Usually, they don't become loose as in a standard headset, they get rough when they are close to their death.

    3. You have a little hole at the top of the fork? The top cap or the outer tube, which is the top part I guess. How much oil are we talking about here?

    4. Eliminated

    5. If this is the culprit, a good shop is probably your best bet. That would mean the races or the bearings are in need of some replacement, adjustment...


    Headset: smooth as can be. They were replaced 6 months ago. Let's eliminate it.

    Dan, I apologize if I mislead you on the leak. I am leaking oil/grease from the fork near the TOP portion of the fork boot (not the top of the actual fork).
    I'm assuming the leak is nothing more than dirty grease being forced out of the hole under the boot because my rebound is still fine. I recently greased the coil spring, and when brand new, the grease leakage was almost gone. I think the heat and friction in this weather is liquifying my grease!
    Are there seals that high up on the fork?

    I'm thinking it's #5 and a rebuild is in order.

    DO you know how much I can expect to pay if C-dale does the work?
    I know for a FACT my shop would have no idea...nor would they take the time to find out.

    Thanks for all the help.

  6. #6
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    I see, I think your leak is just overflow from the air filter...

    As for the cost, I have no idea. Check with Mendon at www.mendoncyclesmith.com and see what he thinks, it might be faster and cheaper to have him do the work than having your local shop sending it to Cannondale. Just check with him first to make sure he can actually do the work because some issues are sometimes better left to Cannondale but he will probably be able to tell you...

    How old is the fork by the way? If it's less than a year, maybe sending it to Cannondale will be covered by the warranty? Maybe...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    fork

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I see, I think your leak is just overflow from the air filter...

    As for the cost, I have no idea. Check with Mendon at www.mendoncyclesmith.com and see what he thinks, it might be faster and cheaper to have him do the work than having your local shop sending it to Cannondale. Just check with him first to make sure he can actually do the work because some issues are sometimes better left to Cannondale but he will probably be able to tell you...

    How old is the fork by the way? If it's less than a year, maybe sending it to Cannondale will be covered by the warranty? Maybe...

    the Lefty is actually 2 years old. It's on my Prophet.

    thanks again. I may just contact Mendon if my shop gives me the run around....OR opt for a PIKE or Fox Talas!

  8. #8
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,418
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    the Lefty is actually 2 years old. It's on my Prophet.

    thanks again. I may just contact Mendon if my shop gives me the run around....OR opt for a PIKE or Fox Talas!

    Yeah, buy a Pike, and give me your Lefty

    Sounds like a fork in need of love, they should get a service once a year at least, easily handled by any "good" shop, or someone such as myself.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    cost?

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah, buy a Pike, and give me your Lefty

    Sounds like a fork in need of love, they should get a service once a year at least, easily handled by any "good" shop, or someone such as myself.
    Mendon...
    could you possibly put a cost on such a "service" without actually tearing apart the fork?

    Like I said...I have no problem paying for a rebuild...but am I going to be charged $200+ clams??

    How much for the TPC upgrade? I don't want SPV though...

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,418
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Mendon...
    could you possibly put a cost on such a "service" without actually tearing apart the fork?

    Like I said...I have no problem paying for a rebuild...but am I going to be charged $200+ clams??

    How much for the TPC upgrade? I don't want SPV though...

    Take it to PM's please, let's not tick off the very kind mods here
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •