mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Lefty 140 Max Air, dead spot at top, rebound doesn't work

Cross posted from the suspension forum where I didn't get any hits in a couple days...

I searched the forum and google for hours before wasting your time with my post, I haven't found a solution yet...

I have a 2010 Lefty Carbon Max 140 PBR (air spring) reduced 30mm for my 29er. My rep set it up and put an air volume spacer too before I bought it.
    It's been the best fork on earth, super super awesome. Had it about 4 months now
    last week it started clunking on a ride. Took it home and did the bearing reset. Helped the clunking a LOT. Now there is about 20mm of dead spot at the top of the travel, it's like there is no spring there for that 20mm, feels really weird when you are standing on the bike pushing it down and up. When riding it actually feels fine.
    But the rebound also doesn't do anything, its too fast and the knob doesn't change the setting at all, this also just happened.
    Am I low on oil? I can't find documentation anywhere on how much oil or how to change the oil on this fork.
    Seemed that doing the bearing reset some oil leaked out, not a lot, just like some drips on the fork. I never saw any oil leaking other than when I did the reset.

And while I have your attention is there any way to make the lockout stiffer? It still bobs a bit when the lockout is on, wondering if there is any way to change this. I have access to a prototyping shop and 3d printer so i can make any of the parts needed.

Help!

mtbr member
    Try taking the spacer out and see if u still have the problem, maybe the spring rate might have changed slightly and altered it after riding for awhile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This one doen't have a spring, it's all air spring. New for 2010

mtbr member
    Well Yea i Know, But there still is a spring rate (air) in air forks, I.E RS Air u turn "Based on our Dual Air spring system, Air U-Turn offers 30mm of travel adjustment through a crown-mounted knob. As the travel is changed, the spring rate automatically compensates to give riders a consistent and quality feel at every travel setting." What I'm saying is maybe the spacer knocked the spring rate off a little and thats why your experiencing a dead spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, the spacers have been there since day 1, this dead spot just came.
    That and the lockout totally stopped working. I think the fork is low on oil or something. There is nothing in the manual on how to change oil on the air spring forks. Lame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm going to say that the damper has lost some oil. If it has lost some oil, then an oil change will do no good. The actual problem (damaged seal, etc) will need to be replaced.

When you did a bearing reset, you removed the two split rings, did you resintall them? If they're not in there (and correctly), things will not work.

I'd have your rep check it out if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ah okay.
    I did notice a problem that I think could have caused this.
    Under the first assembly on top there was a cylinder with a white cap that screwed into it. Is this the damper? Cause that white cap was totally unscrewed. I screwed it back down, but now I assume oil came out of there and into the main chamber, and is causing this problem.

I can't find info on how much oil I need or where to put it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That will definitely cause oil loss and loss of rebound damping and lockout. There is not set amount of oil that goes in the damper. The damper needs to be removed from the fork and then topped off. The pressure comp system will help to compensate for slightly more/less oil that you put in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think I have the same problem... only the white cap did not unscrew... it does appear that there is quite a bit of oil in the upper chamber, not normal from the last time I did a re-set. I hang my bike from the rear wheel and it looks like the oil drained into the upper chamber.

I too have no damper or lockout... until I get the fork way down low on the travel (with the air removed). I can feel the damper start to work, but only in the last 1/3 of the travel... probably because of the lack of oil.

Oh, I too have developed a "clunk" at the top of the travel... again, no damper?

Bummer, I was really enjoying this fork, probably be looking at a warranty I guess. Had it about 3 months now :-(
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com