mtbr member

New question here. lefty 140 leaking oil/sludge

I noticed the Lefty Max 140 on my Prophet has a greasy sludge leaking from under the fork boot (top section, not bottom).

Rebound still works, although the shock is feeling a little harsh (probably because I'm losing oil).

Does this sound like a seal? Or is this a warranty issue?

2005 Prophet, base level Lefty Max 140 (no SPV or TPC).

My camera died so I only have an old photo as reference to where the oil is seeping from the boot.

comments??
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The area you have circleed in that pic is the air filter. The foam filter inside needs to be soaked with oil for it to work properly, so it may not be a leak from inside the fork.

How much is coming out?

mtbr member

filter

Quote Originally Posted by GlenH
    The area you have circleed in that pic is the air filter. The foam filter inside needs to be soaked with oil for it to work properly, so it may not be a leak from inside the fork.

How much is coming out?
    I would say its more of a grease/sludge and not oil.
    Put it this way...it does not drip. It kind of build up around the top of the boot where the little perforated holes are.

Speaking of hole...I wiped the fork downand slid the top of the boot down around 2 inches. I noticed a little hole in the Lefty leg that had the greasy sludge coming out of it.

Is this hole for water drainage? If so, can my cleaning of the bike with the garden hose be to blame?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 06 Prophet 1000 with the same issue. I turned my bike over last night to clean it, and when I turned it back upright I noticed a pinkish redish liquid (assuming this is the oil) at the top of the fork above where freeriderB circled it on the pic, above that foam where the fork attaches to the frame. Probably had about 5ml of this liquid leaking out.

Any thoughts?

Ridin' dirty!
    I wouldn't worry about it. The hole mentioned is for venting. When the fork is compressed the excess air is forced out of the fork through the air filter.
    When the grease of the needle bearings gets thinner over time is forced out of this hole as well.
    When the fork moves out after being compressed (rebounds), air is being sucked inside the fork, that's why this filter should be oiled on regular bases.
    Too much oil can also cause a problem since, it might circle through the bearings, and flush the grease out.
    That explains the pinkish reddish color. The factory grease most commonly used is red. Mixed with dirt and oil it turns kinda pink.
    Just slide the foam filter up, pull the rubber boot down, compress the fork forcefully several times to blow the dirty grease out. Re-grease the 4 flat shiny metal surfaces and re-lube the filter (after cleaning it.).
    I do this like once a month or so.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cdalemaniac, thanks for the details. Its always good to know how things work and when to be concerned and when to just shut up and ride .

As a precaution I did take my bike into the LBS and they told me the very same thing too!