mtbr member

New question here. Lefty 140 - front to rear play_what causes it?

my Lefty 140 has developed some play when I rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on.

Here is my history:
    Headset bearings replaced 6 months ago (+/-) and the steering is smooth as butter.

Took the wheel off, and the axle and hub look fine...no play.

Could this be bearing migration?

Lastly...I still have some oil/grease coming out of the "hole" just under the top of the boot.
    Could this be the cause of the play developing?

Thanks in advance for ideas & comments....

Dr Gadget is IN

Find out where

If I feel a knock/knock, the only way I have found to narrow it down is to place my hand across the two parts where I suspect looseness and repeat the brakes-on rock. Check upper/lower headset, clamps!, telescope join (near top of boot) and last but not least: disc pads, which you can't actually get your hand on.

Where is your movement exactly??
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

feels like...

Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    If I feel a knock/knock, the only way I have found to narrow it down is to place my hand across the two parts where I suspect looseness and repeat the brakes-on rock. Check upper/lower headset, clamps!, telescope join (near top of boot) and last but not least: disc pads, which you can't actually get your hand on.

Where is your movement exactly??

it feels like a loose headset...but not in the head tube area.
    I know that sounds silly, but it's lower in the fork.

headset clamps are tight, hub on the axle is tight (no play in front wheel at all).

How do I check the telescope join????

mtbr member
    loose brake rotor?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB

headset clamps are tight, hub on the axle is tight (no play in front wheel at all).

Its under the accordion boot - just about at the top ring. You can feel it thru the boot pretty easy.

The two parts of the telescope are spaced apart by four roller bearing strips, and the square section they ride in is oriented with the corners at fr/rr/left/right. If there is looseness in there you should feel it at the join. Look in the FAQ: I've got a couple threads in there with a 140 Max completely apart, including the bearing strips and races.

You could also unscrew the top cap and let the spring/damper ride up until you're at full compression and look/rock there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm new here. Where is FAQ, please?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by shinskin
    I'm new here. Where is FAQ, please?
    Near the top of the page - in the stickies - in the manufacturers forums/cannondale section:

Sticky: *****Read this first***** Hot Topics/ FAQS and SCAMS

or:
    *****Read this first***** Hot Topics/ FAQS and SCAMS

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB

I don't have an answer for you, however I have the same problem... I've asked other Prophet riders I meet on the trail if I can check their fork for play and find it in most, it's just a matter of how much... It does not seem to affect the fork performance, however if you're keying in on the sound while riding; it is annoying... I've found using higher SPV pressures (i.e., >= 50 PSI) the sound appears to diminish.

My experience: Try closing your rebound all the way and seeing if the rocking goes away... Of course you can't ride it that way, but it does seem to make me think it has something to do with the cartridge and the hydraulics associated with it.

Turn you bike upside and compress the wheel about an inch... that should remove all the up/down "play". However, if you push, stop, push you can still feel some play that's way I think it's associated with the cartridge...

Originally when I was trying to isolate the problem... I removed the fork from the bike to eliminate the headset, wheel bearings and clamps as variables... I turned the fork upside down, did the push test and the play was definitely in the fork...

Since then mine has not gotten any worse and I've probably logged another 100 rides on it...
    Last edited by MarkHL; 07-29-2007 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member

spv

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    I don't have an answer for you, however I have the same problem... I've asked other Prophet riders I meet on the trail if I can check their fork for play and find it in most, it's just a matter of how much... It does not seem to affect the fork performance, however if you're keying in on the sound while riding; it is annoying... I've found using higher SPV pressures (i.e., >= 50 PSI) the sound appears to diminish.

My experience: Try closing your rebound all the way and seeing if the rocking goes away... Of course you can't ride it that way, but it does seem to make me think it has something to do with the cartridge and the hydraulics associated with it.

Turn you bike upside and compress the wheel about an inch... that should remove all the up/down "play". However, if you push, stop, push you can still feel some play that's way I think it's associated with the cartridge...

Originally when I was trying to isolate the problem... I removed the fork from the bike to eliminate the headset, wheel bearings and clamps as variables... I turned the fork upside down, did the push test and the play was definitely in the fork...

Since then mine has not gotten any worse and I've probably logged another 100 rides on it...

Mine is a non spv Lefty max 140.
    whether rebound is dialed all the way in...or out, the play is the same.
    The play was definitely not there last week.

mtbr member

4 roller bearing strips

Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    Its under the accordion boot - just about at the top ring. You can feel it thru the boot pretty easy.

The two parts of the telescope are spaced apart by four roller bearing strips, and the square section they ride in is oriented with the corners at fr/rr/left/right. If there is looseness in there you should feel it at the join. Look in the FAQ: I've got a couple threads in there with a 140 Max completely apart, including the bearing strips and races.

You could also unscrew the top cap and let the spring/damper ride up until you're at full compression and look/rock there.

If the play is in the join...how do I fix it?
    Is there an allen screw...or are we talking rebuild??

What would C-dale charge to fix this...and possible upgrade to TPC?

El Pollo Diablo
    ditto freerideB re: how much a TPC cart might cost, if anyone knows...
    seems like they're popular enough that nobody is ever selling one, and I'll go back to a conventional fork long before I drop the kinda money the fancier lefties are fetching.
    :P

mtbr member

conventional fork

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    ditto freerideB re: how much a TPC cart might cost, if anyone knows...
    seems like they're popular enough that nobody is ever selling one, and I'll go back to a conventional fork long before I drop the kinda money the fancier lefties are fetching.
    :P

yeah...I always said I would put a PIKE on my Prophet when the Lefty goes...
    But I would be willing to pay for a "tune up" if it didn't cost me $200 bills.