mutaullyassuredsuffering

Lefty 110mm vs.100mm

I saw a thread a bit back about the physical differences between the two, and how the 110 should be more plush. Can anyone verify this?

I think my 100 is about toast, and I'm trying to decide weather to buy another 100 or go to a 110. The difference being about $350. If no one can tell a difference in ride quality it's not worth it to me!

mtbr member
    ever thought about a 140mm, i went from a 100mm to 140mm and the difference is huge! especially with the added spv technology, super plush, with no bob....

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Too much!

This is for a Rush that I want to race XC and endurance. I'd love the feel of the 140 though!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

what did you put the 140mm on?

Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    ever thought about a 140mm, i went from a 100mm to 140mm and the difference is huge! especially with the added spv technology, super plush, with no bob....
    What bike did you put the 140 on?

mtbr member
    well it went like this for me, i started off with a raliegh hardtail with a 2" travel fork, then i got my first super v 1000 with a fatty sl fork just shy of 3" travel, then i got a cannondale jekyll 800 with a lefty with 4" travel, now i ride a prophet with leftymax 51/2" travel with spv and couldnt be happier...
    Last edited by david8613; 01-11-2006 at 09:55 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So, what makes you say your fork is toast? I bring these back from the dead, several times a year, and service countless others. About the only thing that will be deadly if you will is a crash so bad, that it bends inner and outer legs, which I've only seen once, and the guy was in the hospital a bit. Sounds like you may have a shop that needs to make a boat payment= Personally, I'd rather spend $100 and get my 100 fixed, than spend $350 on an upgrade, the difference is not that substantial, and if you find that your lefty is not plush enough already, something is not right with it. If you want a quantifiable upgrade, spend the extra bucks and get the carbon, then at least it's a bit lighter. Cheers!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

You hit it on the head

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    So, what makes you say your fork is toast? I bring these back from the dead, several times a year, and service countless others. About the only thing that will be deadly if you will is a crash so bad, that it bends inner and outer legs, which I've only seen once, and the guy was in the hospital a bit. Sounds like you may have a shop that needs to make a boat payment= Personally, I'd rather spend $100 and get my 100 fixed, than spend $350 on an upgrade, the difference is not that substantial, and if you find that your lefty is not plush enough already, something is not right with it. If you want a quantifiable upgrade, spend the extra bucks and get the carbon, then at least it's a bit lighter. Cheers!
    It's puking lots of oil into the air chamber.

I'd love to lose 1/2 pound, but it's not worth $800 if the ride isn't going to be significantly improved. Again $350 isn't worth it for the same weight and no improvement in ride. I think I'll just rebuild what I have if the new 110mm isn't that big of an improvement.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

You hit it on the head

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith

I'd love to lose 1/2 pound, but it's not worth $800 if the ride isn't going to be significantly improved. Again $350 isn't worth it for the same weight and no improvement in ride. I think I'll just rebuild what I have if the new 110mm isn't that big of an improvement.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard

All that is, is a few seals, a rebuild should include a slider teardown and service, oil change and seal replacement. It should run you about $25 to $45 depending on your shop. Find a shop that can do this in house. I makes you life easier, and it's faster! Good luck.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Follow up

A follow up for anyone who stumbles across the same question...

I ended up trading a friend some work for parts off his scalpel which he backed over with his car. I got some of his XTR components and his carbon DLR2. I got the DLR resealed, and sold it to another friend for his Rush build up project. Not a bad deal!

With the DLR2, there is an improvement in the way the bike rides compared to the days even when my DLR was new. It is not a $1200 difference by any means, but the small bump response is better, and even at low rebound the fork feels smoother and more reactive. Knowing absolutely nothing about the internals, it just feels like a slightly more expensive shock to me.

If you have a choice between the two and a few hundred bucks are the difference I would get the DLR2, but if you are thinking of upgrading, wait for someone to kill their bike and snag it from them!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Carbon DLR 2 is not really worth the upgrade from the Carbon DLR 2004 which was the ultimate version of the Headshok Cartridge. The DLR 2 of course now uses the lower leg as the air chamber and an aluminium stub axle instead of titanium.
    Initial DLR2 had a problem with air leaking due to a piston that would roll over. They solved this quickly by lengthening it to give it stability.

However in terms of the action it remaisn the same as the DLR which is also about 90gr lighter at about 1232gr (at least mine is...)

I've not considered the upgrade but will obvious;t receive one on my Rush when I order it later this year.

Members who have read this thread: 0