mtbr member

Left shock brake cable guide - need help

Recently bought a Scalpel Carbon with the new version of the Lefty. The dust/rock shield attached to the lower part of the shock has a brake cable guide mounted to it. Does anybody know the size of the screws that hold the mount to the shield?
    After my ride today, I noticed that the guide was still clamping the brake cable, but it was no longer attached to the shield. Looks like a separate screw must come from behind through the shield and into the mount (separate from the screw that clamps the two halves together around the brake hose). Is that correct? It must have tiny threads but a large head because the holes in the shock shield are pretty big. Anybody have measurements and/or a source for those?

Bad pics, maybe helpful to show the part in question and the back part of it that looks like it would accept a miniature bolt:

Left shock brake cable guide - need help-uploadfromtaptalk1381975519765.jpg

Left shock brake cable guide - need help-uploadfromtaptalk1381975541763.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I dont know the size, but if its new (recent) the shop should fix it. My bike a 4 months old and I would not hesitate to go back to the shop with this.

mtbr member

Re: Left shock brake cable guide - need help

Yeah, I will if I have to. Hardware store is closer, so wondering if it had happened to anyone else and if anyone knew the size of the bolts.
    If not, hopefully the shop can get them in. I have it wired to the shield through the holes in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I do not need this cable guide any more!
    Perhaps it is an option to mount it like me, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is no other hardware. The plastic guide has separated completely from the guard and is not fixable. You'll need a new fork guard at this point. Those holes are where the guide (the backside where the threaded inserts for the guide clamp screws were epoxied) is molded into the fork guard.

This has happened to me as well. Although, I did get a replacement I chose to use a small gauge zip tie in its place so that the brake line would have some movement. Just run it through and around where the two existing holes are as shown in your picture, and wrap around the brake line. Don't make it tight though so the brake line can move a little within the tie.

Also, zett28, it is probably ok to run your brake line like that, but as the lefty compresses, the brake line will bow outward and could catch on something and pull it off or cause you to crash. Likelihood of this happening might be small but not impossible, so "probably ok", but would definitely consider an alternative route.

mtbr member

Thanks trauma-md!

Seems like they had a poor implementation of a cool idea since mine failed after only 4 rides. Sounds like it has failed to other's as well, so it doesn't make sense to get a whole new shield only to have to break again.
    Similar to what you suggested, I already used some thin wire passing through the holes to secure the line. If that is going to be my permanent solution, however, I think I'm going to wrap a little gorilla tape around the line first to help protect it from chafing.

Thanks again for the info.
    Albert

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I stand corrected!

When mine pulled apart, the rep gave me the explanation as I stated above….this photo tells a different story...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Left shock brake cable guide - need help-2013-cannondale-trigger-29er-mountain-bike-review08.jpg  

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I stand corrected!

When mine pulled apart, the rep gave me the explanation as I stated above….this photo tells a different story...
    Lol! Thanks! Off to the shop I go!

mtbr member

The shop didn't have replacement screws...but my local Ace hardware store did. For future reference if it happens to other people, the screws are M2 diameter flat head, standard pitch, 4mm in length. The originals had a hex head; the ones from Ace are standard slot head. I put blue loc tite. If it happens again, I'll use the next level stronger.

mtbr member
    Good to know. Thanks for the update / specs.