mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Leaking air & options other than sending to C'dale hqtrs?

My Lefty Speed Carbon SL fork is leaking air. Pumped it up before a 2 hr ride yesterday and was bottoming out within an hour. What's the remedy?

Also, is there a list somewhere of bike shops or places that will work on C'dale forks? I know I can send mine to C'dale headquarters but would be good to know of other options. I called all of the local C'dale dealers and they don't work on them, they send them back. If anyone knows of good alternatives, please let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not that he needs any more promotion but Craig of Mendon Cycle Smith (MCS) is the go-to guy around here. He's in NY and I'm also from the east coast and it cost about $8 to send him my Lefty for work. Yes I wish he was in my neighborhood, but that's what speedy delivery is for. A lot of bike shops are afraid of Lefty's for some reason.

Just PM him (Monday, it's a holiday weekend for god's sake) and he'll let you know how to proceed.

mad aussie
    You could replace the Schrader valve core in the bottom of the fork yourself. Most shopsshould have some cores in stock as they are also used in rear shocks. You can get the tool for removing it from an auto parts store. Remove, clean out the inside of the end cap and then insert new core. Dont put it in too far, I find having the end of the core about a 1-2mm inset from the end of the cap is fine. For some reason they crank them in way too hard at Cannondale during assembly.
    If that doesnt work most likely new piston o-rings. Its a dirt simple job and it annoys the f*%k out of me that shops wont make the effort to do basic maintenance.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks very much!!!!!!!